Old 31-08-2005, 10:40 AM
capstan

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , capstan
writes
We've noticed a very strange thing.
Other than the usual noisy crowds of wood pigeons and collared doves, we
haven't had a single bird of any kind visit our normally popular garden,
birdbath and table for the past five days !
Nothing, not a one, zilch, not even starlings.
Up till now our most prolific visitor this year were blackbirds which we
were seeing in increasing quantities, far outdoing the blue tits and great
tits which we noticed were in decline. This year we noticed that
thrushes,
house sparrows and wrens were increasing whilst robins were also in
decline.
And we simply can't remember the last time we saw any kind of finch.
Chaffinches were always the most common in our garden here in
mid-Notts......but now ????
What on earth is happening ? Is there some sort of bird epidemic about ?
Whets your experience in your area ?

You don't say where you are, but is there grain harvesting going on around
you? If so, I suspect the wood pigeons and collared doves are on the
stubbles gleaning the spilt grain and weed seeds. The smaller birds will
be doing very nicely on the flush of fruits and seeds which are also
available to them at this time of year.

--
Malcolm

Err.....notice I did say we are in mid-Nottinghamshire and that pigeons and
doves were the ONLY birds to visit us.
capstan.