Old 30-08-2005, 08:27 PM
capstan

Default Where are the birds ?

We've noticed a very strange thing.
Other than the usual noisy crowds of wood pigeons and collared doves, we
haven't had a single bird of any kind visit our normally popular garden,
birdbath and table for the past five days !
Nothing, not a one, zilch, not even starlings.
Up till now our most prolific visitor this year were blackbirds which we
were seeing in increasing quantities, far outdoing the blue tits and great
tits which we noticed were in decline. This year we noticed that thrushes,
house sparrows and wrens were increasing whilst robins were also in
decline.
And we simply can't remember the last time we saw any kind of finch.
Chaffinches were always the most common in our garden here in
mid-Notts......but now ????
What on earth is happening ? Is there some sort of bird epidemic about ?
Whets your experience in your area ?

capstan

Old 30-08-2005, 08:47 PM
keith ;-\)

I also live in Nottingham, I tend not to feed them that much in summer ,just
leave them water.So I haven't seen much activity.I saw a robin & blue tit
last week.But mainly wood pigeons & doves.And the odd black bird darting
around looking for worms in the morning on the grass.I suppose they are
finding food from all the bugs that are about this time of year ,also
farmers crops etc.
Cheers Keith

Old 31-08-2005, 10:40 AM
capstan

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , capstan
writes
[...]

You don't say where you are, but is there grain harvesting going on around
you? If so, I suspect the wood pigeons and collared doves are on the
stubbles gleaning the spilt grain and weed seeds. The smaller birds will
be doing very nicely on the flush of fruits and seeds which are also
available to them at this time of year.

--
Malcolm

Err.....notice I did say we are in mid-Nottinghamshire and that pigeons and
doves were the ONLY birds to visit us.
capstan.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Klara

[...]

Our experience is strangely different: a great decline in all large
birds, the blackbirds, thrushes, starlings, sparrows, green and
goldfinches have all more or less disappeared, but about 10 days ago,
literally overnight, the tits (great, blue, coal) have descended on the
sunflower seeds and they are gobbling like there's no tomorrow:
consumption is suddenly up more than 400 per cent! I was beginning to
wonder whether they know something we don't know: is some great
cataclysm coming in this area?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 01-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Lol

hi

Late August and September is an unusual time for birds feeding as there are
a lot of birds moving around. The migrants are moving towards the coast and
are stocking up on food in readiness for their journey. Northern migrants
(Scandanavia) are starting to move through the UK. Residents (tits, finches
and starlings) are starting to flock together and are taking advantage of
harvesting windfalls. There are more birds around at this time of year than
at any other time - after a full breeding season and before the high
mortalities of migration and Winter. Once this all settles down, and food
becomes harder to find, they will start to move back into the gardens for
food.

I suspect that what you are seeing is quite normal for this time of year.

regards Lol

Old 01-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Klara

In message , Lol
writes
hi

Late August and September is an unusual time for birds feeding as there
are a lot of birds moving around. The migrants are moving towards the
coast and are stocking up on food in readiness for their journey.
Northern migrants (Scandanavia) are starting to move through the UK.
Residents (tits, finches and starlings) are starting to flock together
and are taking advantage of harvesting windfalls. There are more birds
around at this time of year than at any other time - after a full
breeding season and before the high mortalities of migration and
Winter. Once this all settles down, and food becomes harder to find,
they will start to move back into the gardens for food.

I suspect that what you are seeing is quite normal for this time of
year.

regards Lol

Well, that's what I thought - which is why I'm amazed that all the tits