Old 31-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Martin Sykes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , goff
writes
But isn't that how the Bramleys cooker came about.

Thinking about it, isn't that how all have come about, by crossing and
seeing what happens.

And won't come true to the parent - there's no guarantee that the fruit
you get will even be worth eating.

I said no guarantee. Of course you might be lucky, But for every cross
which is worth preserving there are very many which aren't worth the
bother - depends how much room the OP has, of course. And AIUI it isn't
quite a matter of 'seeing what happens' - usually the parents are chosen
with some care.

--
Kay

I'd expect in a large commercial orchard such as I presume would supply the
supermarkets, the chances are greater that both parents are very similar and
so the plants would be more likely to come true than from a home-grown tree
which could have been pollinated by anything?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )