Old 29-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Inexpensive fruit trees seedlings

Hi,

I live in Reading and need fruit tree seedlings for planting in my
backyard and allotment.

I need plum, pears, apples, etc.

Rajinder

Old 29-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
contains these words:

I live in Reading and need fruit tree seedlings for planting in my
backyard and allotment.

I need plum, pears, apples, etc.

*STILL*?

You posted something to the same effect last year...

How are you, anyway? The 'Wages of Sin' thread is still mentioned every
now and again.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

The message
from "Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt"
contains these words:

I live in Reading and need fruit tree seedlings for planting in my
backyard and allotment.

I need plum, pears, apples, etc.

*STILL*?

You posted something to the same effect last year...

How are you, anyway? The 'Wages of Sin' thread is still mentioned every
now and again.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Cor blimey, I remember that!

Sometimes you wish it was`nt on an ISP newsgroup so you could look back
on googley.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:44 AM
J Jackson

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:
: Hi,

: I live in Reading and need fruit tree seedlings for planting in my
: backyard and allotment.

: I need plum, pears, apples, etc.

not seen seedlings of these ever sold.

They tend to be named varieties grafted/budded onto to root stocks.

Mail order is cheapest - Deacons

http://www.agregister.co.uk/company-95036268.html#

or try this site....

http://www.plant-seed-mailorder.org.uk/top_fruit.html

google is your friend
Old 31-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Martin Sykes

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I live in Reading and need fruit tree seedlings for planting in my
backyard and allotment.

I need plum, pears, apples, etc.

Rajinder

I may be missing something but the obvious cheapest way to get seedlings of
plum, pears and apples etc. is to buy the fruit at the supermarket and
germinate the seeds yourself. They can take ages to fruit when grown from
seed though.

I think the best way though is to buy them as bare-rooted trees mailorder
from somewhere like buckingham nurseries

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 31-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Kay

In article 9pqdnZ2dnZ3W0CqgnZ2dnTcaiN6dnZ2dRVnyoZ2dnZ0@brigh tview.com,
Martin Sykes writes
"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I live in Reading and need fruit tree seedlings for planting in my
backyard and allotment.

I need plum, pears, apples, etc.

I may be missing something but the obvious cheapest way to get seedlings of
plum, pears and apples etc. is to buy the fruit at the supermarket and
germinate the seeds yourself. They can take ages to fruit when grown from
seed though.

And won't come true to the parent - there's no guarantee that the fruit
you get will even be worth eating.

--
Kay

Old 31-08-2005, 06:06 PM
goff

But isn't that how the Bramleys cooker came about.

Thinking about it, isn't that how all have come about, by crossing and
seeing what happens.

Old 31-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Kay

In article , goff
writes
But isn't that how the Bramleys cooker came about.

Thinking about it, isn't that how all have come about, by crossing and
seeing what happens.

And won't come true to the parent - there's no guarantee that the fruit
you get will even be worth eating.

I said no guarantee. Of course you might be lucky, But for every cross
which is worth preserving there are very many which aren't worth the
bother - depends how much room the OP has, of course. And AIUI it isn't
quite a matter of 'seeing what happens' - usually the parents are chosen
with some care.

--
Kay

Old 31-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Martin Sykes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , goff
writes
But isn't that how the Bramleys cooker came about.

Thinking about it, isn't that how all have come about, by crossing and
seeing what happens.

And won't come true to the parent - there's no guarantee that the fruit
you get will even be worth eating.

I said no guarantee. Of course you might be lucky, But for every cross
which is worth preserving there are very many which aren't worth the
bother - depends how much room the OP has, of course. And AIUI it isn't
quite a matter of 'seeing what happens' - usually the parents are chosen
with some care.

--
Kay

I'd expect in a large commercial orchard such as I presume would supply the
supermarkets, the chances are greater that both parents are very similar and
so the plants would be more likely to come true than from a home-grown tree
which could have been pollinated by anything?

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 31-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Brian

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , goff
writes
[...]

________________
It can be guaranteed that little, or nothing, worthwhile will be
produced from seeds. In the ages since Cox's and Bramley were achieved
nothing has surpassed them despite both being a PITN to grow. Cox's for its
health and Bramley for its vigour.
Millions of seedling are grown every year but in all that time nothing
to equal the above~~ despite their faults.
Surprisingly, Peaches do respond quite well and do produce edible fruits
within a reasonable time.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 31-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

How are you, anyway? The 'Wages of Sin' thread is still mentioned every
now and again.

Cor blimey, I remember that!

Sometimes you wish it was`nt on an ISP newsgroup so you could look back
on googley.

Someone has it all archived. I think Adrian Goathard has, but I have an
idea that another Zetnut saved it all too. Ask PM...

Old 31-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from goff contains these words:

But isn't that how the Bramleys cooker came about.

Thinking about it, isn't that how all have come about, by crossing and
seeing what happens.

Yes, but the failure rate is very high. Only one every now and again makes it.

Old 31-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

I said no guarantee. Of course you might be lucky, But for every cross
which is worth preserving there are very many which aren't worth the
bother - depends how much room the OP has, of course. And AIUI it isn't
quite a matter of 'seeing what happens' - usually the parents are chosen
with some care.

I'd expect in a large commercial orchard such as I presume would supply the
supermarkets, the chances are greater that both parents are very
similar and
so the plants would be more likely to come true than from a home-grown tree
which could have been pollinated by anything?

No. Read up on Mendel's experiments with peas.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:43 AM
J Jackson

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
: The message
: from goff contains these words:

: But isn't that how the Bramleys cooker came about.

: Thinking about it, isn't that how all have come about, by crossing and
: seeing what happens.

: Yes, but the failure rate is very high. Only one every now and again makes it.

I think the "success" rate may be a little better than most people are
prdicting here - but the timescales and land needed mean that it would be
a lot of work to try them out.

Current researchers/breeders are looking for apples with specific
commercial criteria that match the commercial growing, picking, packing
and selling regimes of today. For own use the criteria can be a lot more
relaxed and hence there will be more "successes".

Old 18-12-2012, 04:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sneha Nursery is our endeavor to produce a variety of healthy seedlings using highly sophisticated greenhouses, for supply to farmers who wish to maximize their crop production. This project reflects our vision to grow seedlings of a diversified variety of All Fruit Seedlings, Watermelon, Muskmelon, Papaya, T C Banana under controlled conditions of temperature, humidity and fertigation, in order to ensure that prevailing plant loss due to poor conditions is prevented. We have a team of highly experienced scientists and analysts who dedicatedly work to produce healthy, diseases free seedlings with longevity.

We are committed to contribute to the society by nurturing and promoting Indian Horticulture. We believe in positive innovation. We work on the techniques which can help us in promoting welfare of all. Thus, Sneha Nursery is aimed to help farmers in producing more and better by providing them the healthy and disease free seedlings. Our motto is to provide farmer friendly, cost effective and highly advanced Horticulture Services to help in the country’s progress.