Old 31-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Martin Sykes" contains
these words:

I said no guarantee. Of course you might be lucky, But for every cross
which is worth preserving there are very many which aren't worth the
bother - depends how much room the OP has, of course. And AIUI it isn't
quite a matter of 'seeing what happens' - usually the parents are chosen
with some care.

I'd expect in a large commercial orchard such as I presume would supply the
supermarkets, the chances are greater that both parents are very
similar and
so the plants would be more likely to come true than from a home-grown tree
which could have been pollinated by anything?

No. Read up on Mendel's experiments with peas.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/