Old 01-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Nicole H

I don't know anything about straw hats but I know about those uv rays. The
uv rays can still cause damage even if you're not seeing a physical burn.
you probably have more pigment in your skin and can thus tolerate more uv
rays.
then there are the rays that are reflecting back at you. various surface
reflect rather than absorb.

I wear a broad spectrum sunscreen under my solumbra (spf 50) sport shirt and
on my face even with a wide brim hat on.

I react to indoor lighting at times. It's crazy.
happy gardening
nic

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:25:09 -0400, Ann wrote:

After Rick said:

Almost all straw hats and straw sombreros have an SPF of 2 or so.
That's right-2 not the 50+ he needs (I'm a redhead). The uv goes
right through the holes in the straw hat, so they are basicallty
worthless. Get a straw hat lined with UV blocking cloth, or a solid
type of hat and use sunscreen UVA and B at SPF 40-50+. One good
place
to find such protective gear is a good sports store and they also
have
non greasy high SPF blocks that do not come off when you sweat.

-Rick

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:
Where did you get that info.?
That makes no sense... A straw hat is going to block the majority of
the
sunlight. The holes are not THAT big if it's cross-woven!

I agree, I've got several straw hats that are very tightly woven and a
minimal amount of sun would ever get through them.

sigh....
Straw Hats offer very little protection-even with the freaking liners.

from

http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/derm...tment/sun.html

Ok, I see the source that you got the info. from...

but all I know is is that I NEVER EVER get sunburned on my face if I'm
wearing a straw hat.

If I don't wear one, I get sunburned......
Even on my scalp.

Now what?
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
Nicholson