Old 01-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Klara

We've noticed a very strange thing.
Other than the usual noisy crowds of wood pigeons and collared doves, we
haven't had a single bird of any kind visit our normally popular garden,
birdbath and table for the past five days !
Nothing, not a one, zilch, not even starlings.
Up till now our most prolific visitor this year were blackbirds which we
were seeing in increasing quantities, far outdoing the blue tits and great
tits which we noticed were in decline. This year we noticed that thrushes,
house sparrows and wrens were increasing whilst robins were also in
decline.
And we simply can't remember the last time we saw any kind of finch.
Chaffinches were always the most common in our garden here in
mid-Notts......but now ????
What on earth is happening ? Is there some sort of bird epidemic about ?
Whets your experience in your area ?

capstan

Our experience is strangely different: a great decline in all large
birds, the blackbirds, thrushes, starlings, sparrows, green and
goldfinches have all more or less disappeared, but about 10 days ago,
literally overnight, the tits (great, blue, coal) have descended on the
sunflower seeds and they are gobbling like there's no tomorrow:
consumption is suddenly up more than 400 per cent! I was beginning to
wonder whether they know something we don't know: is some great
cataclysm coming in this area?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin