Old 01-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Terry Collins

Chookie wrote:

My younger son is 3 months old, so he won't be drownproofed for a couple of
years. I thought ducks had to dabble their food, resulting in a fair bit of
mud around?

Only just around the water. The problem with most duck yards I've seen
is that the ducks are caged into a relatively small area and of course
they pick all the green out of it, so it ends up muddy.

The "problem" is that they dabble other stuff, like soil in the water
and of course you have to occassionally dredge the water dish/pond. In
small yards, this means they tend to excavate near the pond.

speaking of Katrina, an uncle has ducks and of course he suck a whole
pile of bath tubs for the ducks. It would have been better if he had not
suck them the full way and put an outlet trench to drain them off.
Instead he now has to laboriously empty them each time.

and you need a ramp, in bath tubs, that they can not move, just incase
one falls in and can not get out.

but the duck and broccoli would be a major problem here. Of course, if
they like borage, or roddicio (sp?) or even spinach or comfrey, then
there wouldn't be a major propblem with sharing that. Not sure I want to
rabbits at one stage).