Old 01-09-2005, 02:29 AM
HC

Show him the door!!!.........ROFLMHO ;-)))

LindaB wrote:
-db- wrote:

i second that. ducks are great. they are reasonably quiet and can be
good with kids. they'll certainly clean up the snails (the ducks of course)

Yeah, except it is family folklore about my brother next door, who had
ducks, coming in to ask for a recipe for duck and broccoli soup. He
said "It won't take long to make - the broccoli is already all in the
ducks"

Old 01-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Chookie

In article , HC wrote:

Have you thought about a couple of ducks? They don't scratch in the
garden and will eat snails etc as well as give you some eggs. A bit
dish for water (or small tub) sunk into the ground makes a good swimming
hole for them too.

My younger son is 3 months old, so he won't be drownproofed for a couple of
years. I thought ducks had to dabble their food, resulting in a fair bit of
mud around?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Terry Collins

Chookie wrote:

My younger son is 3 months old, so he won't be drownproofed for a couple of
years. I thought ducks had to dabble their food, resulting in a fair bit of
mud around?

Only just around the water. The problem with most duck yards I've seen
is that the ducks are caged into a relatively small area and of course
they pick all the green out of it, so it ends up muddy.

The "problem" is that they dabble other stuff, like soil in the water
and of course you have to occassionally dredge the water dish/pond. In
small yards, this means they tend to excavate near the pond.

speaking of Katrina, an uncle has ducks and of course he suck a whole
pile of bath tubs for the ducks. It would have been better if he had not
suck them the full way and put an outlet trench to drain them off.
Instead he now has to laboriously empty them each time.

and you need a ramp, in bath tubs, that they can not move, just incase
one falls in and can not get out.

but the duck and broccoli would be a major problem here. Of course, if
they like borage, or roddicio (sp?) or even spinach or comfrey, then
there wouldn't be a major propblem with sharing that. Not sure I want to
rabbits at one stage).

Oak leaf blizzard leads to pool plunge jOhN Texas 3 10-03-2006 02:42 AM
Taken the Plunge Chookie Permaculture 16 01-09-2005 07:10 PM
ants in plunge bench Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 11 08-04-2005 11:14 AM
Free glads - TAKEN! Elizabeth North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
University of Cambridge now taken to trolling? Malcolm United Kingdom 0 24-03-2003 10:44 AM