Old 13-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Alan Gould

Default Pronunciation

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

A neighbouring gardener of ours was having some skin problems from
plants and was prescribed an ointment called 'Cicatrin' (Wellcome).
The ointment works very well, but how is its name pronounced?

Siccatrin....according to my last GP. Good stuff :-)

Having checked Chambers, the word seems to be based on cicatrice - pron.
sik-a tris, which is a scar tissue over a healed wound. Very apt!

In English, C followed by I or E is soft (cinder, certain).

Except for cinema, sometimes pron. kinema, and Celt - kelt.
followed by O, A and U is hard as in condor, curtain, and cup.

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.