Old 16-12-2002, 08:19 PM
Vera Gade

Default Climbers for Architecturalgarden

In article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Niall" wrote
Hi all

Its been a while since I graced these pages..

Welcome back :~)

My garden has been landscaped with my
beloved plastered block planters and plant choice
is now on my agenda.

As you can imagine the garden look is a minimilist
green garden with lights and sculptural elements
making good use of the varying stone colours etc etc
(Diarmuid Gavin on a calm day ;~)

Anyway as the header implies I am wondering about climbers
The garden is trellised on all sides and will get climbers

Which climbers will compliment my garden style?
(East-care always a good thing!)
Regards and Season Greetings
Niall

I'm inclined to say that climbers and architectural don't really go
together.
Most climbers are 'messy'.

However, what about a Aristolochia - huge green leaves and interesting
architectural 'flowers'.

Jenny

Hej - Nick Mac Laren gave some good plantnames in his answer to my posting
about a 200 squaremeter garden with trellis. I did look in at Arne
Jacobsen's famous garden in Klampenborg Denmark - truly "architectural"-
and he too had Akebia quinata (I will try that one even if here is colder
than Denmark) and Lonicera - here tragophylla. he made splendid use of
climbers in his architectur; I remember specially his gardens around S:t
Catherines College in Oxford. He also used Aristolochia and Hedera and
Viburnum rhytidophyllum - (can be trained in a pure northen aspect). Of
course everything *has* to be trained, not to be "messy" as Jenny says.
But that shouldn't cause no problem.Another: Cotoneaster salicifolia. Very
nice viry stems. My problem was more about how to blend roses and clematis
to it's very best. I have no north-side, but I think you must have, Niall?
Greetings for Christmas from Vera

--
VERA GADE NORRKOPING
VERA @GADE.SE