Old 02-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Jen

The DNA testing is a joke!!!! YOU"RE BEING SUCKED IN!!

"Rob & Shel" wrote in message
u...
There was a bit of news on TV or radio whatever ages back re a council
doing DNA testing on poo. I'm guessing it was an extreme repeat offender
they were after.

I've tried to get a definitive answer from my local council about
composting dog & cat poo, but there wasn't anyone there in the
"Health Control" Dept who could answer with any real certainty/authority.

The only thing I can think is to try getting an answer from CSIRO.

I don't see why composting a pet's poo should be such a problem as there
such things as composting toilets: even my own council has public
composting toilets.
I guess it needs some management depending on quantity & other composting
matter etc etc.
I have not yet found any definitive & authoritative evidence to show that
poo dug direct into vegie beds would present a problem. I don't dig in
the poo to a bed where vegies are actually growing, only a future bed.
Like most things it depends quantities...too much of anything can kill a
garden.

I grew up in a town called Barking, UK which had, in time of olde, farming
fields where sewage was dumped from London. "From filth to tilth".
There were the same "wash your hands after gardening" type warnings as you
get here....nothing special.
The only adverse affect from poos I've ever experienced here in AU was a
bad stomach infection thought to have been caused by a single fly
touch-down on my BBQ food ages back, & that was before I had any pets.
The type of infection was directly attributed to faeces the Doc said, & so
after that I became very irate @ local dog walkers not cleaning up.

Below are some links that might shed some light both for & against.
http://www.citiesofscience.co.uk/go/...lace_1961.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/barking
http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/sbede.../history2.html
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/07/24/compost.enn/
http://www.ecosanres.org/PDF%20files...ESR5lowres.pdf
Organic news from December 2004
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Rob

"Charles" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:11:58 +1000
Basil Chupin wrote:

wrote:
Failing that, put it in the bin. Don't flush it down the dunny,
that is illegal.

Hmmm....proof or a citation to back this up? I can't see any reason for
this to be the case.

Yep, when they find some the authorities do a DNA test on the dog shit
and then go looking for the household who owns that dog. Pretty scary
stuff.

Hmmm....looking for the smiley here, cause that just makes no logical
sense at all, nor does it strike me as being usefully possible.

Charles
--
If some days are diamonds and some days are stone....
Then some days I live in a quarry!!