Old 28-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Brian Delaney

Default Dog Poo

Hi All,
I am interested in composting dog poo, (or any other method of
getting rid of it ) I am aware that the resulting compost cannot be
used on the vege garden but can be safely used on flowers.

Has anyone else on the list tried this ?

Thanks
Brian
Old 29-08-2005, 12:29 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 22:53:15 GMT, Brian Delaney wrote:

Hi All,
I am interested in composting dog poo, (or any other method of
getting rid of it ) I am aware that the resulting compost cannot be
used on the vege garden but can be safely used on flowers.

Has anyone else on the list tried this ?

I remember seeing a dog shit composter on either Burke's Backyard or on of the Graham Ross shows a
year or two back.

Failing that, put it in the bin. Don't flush it down the dunny, that is illegal.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Rob & Shel

There was a bit of news on TV or radio whatever ages back re a council doing
DNA testing on poo. I'm guessing it was an extreme repeat offender they
were after.

I've tried to get a definitive answer from my local council about composting
dog & cat poo, but there wasn't anyone there in the
"Health Control" Dept who could answer with any real certainty/authority.

The only thing I can think is to try getting an answer from CSIRO.

I don't see why composting a pet's poo should be such a problem as there
such things as composting toilets: even my own council has public composting
toilets.
I guess it needs some management depending on quantity & other composting
matter etc etc.
I have not yet found any definitive & authoritative evidence to show that
poo dug direct into vegie beds would present a problem. I don't dig in the
poo to a bed where vegies are actually growing, only a future bed. Like
most things it depends quantities...too much of anything can kill a garden.

I grew up in a town called Barking, UK which had, in time of olde, farming
fields where sewage was dumped from London. "From filth to tilth".
There were the same "wash your hands after gardening" type warnings as you
get here....nothing special.
The only adverse affect from poos I've ever experienced here in AU was a bad
stomach infection thought to have been caused by a single fly touch-down on
my BBQ food ages back, & that was before I had any pets. The type of
infection was directly attributed to faeces the Doc said, & so after that I
became very irate @ local dog walkers not cleaning up.

Below are some links that might shed some light both for & against.
http://www.citiesofscience.co.uk/go/...lace_1961.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/barking
http://www.uow.edu.au/arts/sts/sbede.../history2.html
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/07/24/compost.enn/
http://www.ecosanres.org/PDF%20files...ESR5lowres.pdf
Organic news from December 2004
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Rob

"Charles" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:11:58 +1000
Basil Chupin wrote:

wrote:
Failing that, put it in the bin. Don't flush it down the dunny,
that is illegal.

Hmmm....proof or a citation to back this up? I can't see any reason for
this to be the case.

Yep, when they find some the authorities do a DNA test on the dog shit
and then go looking for the household who owns that dog. Pretty scary
stuff.

Hmmm....looking for the smiley here, cause that just makes no logical
sense at all, nor does it strike me as being usefully possible.

Charles
--
If some days are diamonds and some days are stone....
Then some days I live in a quarry!!

Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Trish Brown

I think the major problem with animal faeces is that they can contain
all sorts of parasites and pathogens that can affect human beings, some
of them quite tragically. (Toxoplasmosis and leptospirosis spring to
mind... both can cause serious birth defects if passed from a pregnant
woman to her foetus). There's also a smorgasbord of worms and flukes
that can exist in various forms in poo and be transmitted to you through
direct contact.

AFAIK, sewage treatment is specific for human poo and cannot break down
the various animal poos. Dog poo, for example, is a true turd (I'm not
joking: that's the correct name for it!) and has a laminating outer
layer which protects the dog's intestines from mechanical damage as
bones and sharp bits of it's 'prey' pass through. This layer, once
hardened, resists breakdown of most treatments and can help to keep
parasitic larvae alive inside the turd, even through some pretty severe
chemical baths. (If my Mum knew I was writing this, she'd have a
coronary! LOL!)

Cat poo has similar properties, although not entirely the same. The hair
component in cat poo resists breakdown as well and would probably
prevent the poo from succumbing to the usual methods in treatment works.
AFAIK, human poo is basically water soluble and that's the main
difference...

I do *not* have an unhealthy fixation on poo! (Just in case you were
wondering) I studied animal poo as part of my Zoology course and - well
- it stuck! ;-

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old 02-09-2005, 03:12 AM
Charles

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:59:33 +1000
Trish Brown wrote:

AFAIK, sewage treatment is specific for human poo and cannot break
down the various animal poos. Dog poo, for example, is a true turd
(I'm not joking: that's the correct name for it!) and has a laminating
outer layer which protects the dog's intestines from mechanical damage
as bones and sharp bits of it's 'prey' pass through. This layer, once
hardened, resists breakdown of most treatments and can help to keep
parasitic larvae alive inside the turd, even through some pretty
severe chemical baths. (If my Mum knew I was writing this, she'd have
a coronary! LOL!)

OK I can accept that it may not be treated properly by the sewage
treatment process. I was unaware of the laminating outer layer
concept...that makes sense.

Now...as to the other claim, made by one poster, about the DNA
testing...ummmm.....how the hell would the "authorities" have a record
of the dog's DNA to test against?? I do not see how it is possible to
trace a turd back from the sewage farm up the mains, through many
branches to poor the poor old blue-dog whose master has put her turds
down the toilet. (And I am well aware that it can be possible to trace
the source of dumping of some untreated trade-waste through the
fingerprint that some chemicals will leave in the sewerage system).

Charles

Old 02-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Rob & Shel

Not April 1st
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...115910970.html

http://www.education.netpresence.biz...intsectionid=0

http://www.iimage.com.au/ava.com.au/...00/jackson.htm

"Jen" wrote in message
The DNA testing is a joke!!!! YOU"RE BEING SUCKED IN!!

u...

Old 02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Basil Chupin

Jen wrote:
The DNA testing is a joke!!!! YOU"RE BEING SUCKED IN!!

"Rob & Shel" wrote in message
u...

[...]

in...

Basil Chupin wrote:

wrote:

Failing that, put it in the bin. Don't flush it down the dunny,
that is illegal.

Hmmm....proof or a citation to back this up? I can't see any reason for
this to be the case.

Yep, when they find some the authorities do a DNA test on the dog shit
and then go looking for the household who owns that dog. Pretty scary
stuff.

Hmmm....looking for the smiley here, cause that just makes no logical
sense at all, nor does it strike me as being usefully possible.

Charles
--
If some days are diamonds and some days are stone....
Then some days I live in a quarry!!

I hate party-poopers :-(. Watcha spoil it for? :-)

Cheers.

--
All things are possible, except skiing through a revolving door.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:46 AM
ellipsis

Yep, when they find some the authorities do a DNA test on the dog shit
and then go looking for the household who owns that dog. Pretty scary
stuff.

A case for CSI - Canine Stool Investigators

Old 21-09-2005, 02:43 AM
Doug Hutcheson

Brian,
I used to have a proprietary worm farm called, I think, "Dog Doo Loo".
This gave no hits on Google, other than some pop music lyrics
(let's not go there...), But I tracked down these info sheets.

I am going to have a go at making my own, because I am on a limited
income, but I can vouch for their effectiveness.

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourho...ips/05/585.asp
http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/envirom/wormfarm.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common...e/wormfarm.htm

Cheers,
Doug
....and don't believe my email address, it is a spam trap "8-)

Old 21-09-2005, 10:17 AM
ellipsis

In article , Doug
Hutcheson wrote:

Brian,
I used to have a proprietary worm farm called, I think, "Dog Doo Loo".
This gave no hits on Google, other than some pop music lyrics
(let's not go there...), But I tracked down these info sheets.

I am going to have a go at making my own, because I am on a limited
income, but I can vouch for their effectiveness.

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourho...ips/05/585.asp
http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/envirom/wormfarm.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common...eatures/make/w
ormfarm.htm

Cheers,
Doug

Of course (and I am not sure if this has been posted) this will be no
good for your dog poo right after your dog has had a worm treatment -
for fairly obvious reasons

New Exciting Earth-Friendly Solution for your Dog Poo earthessentials United Kingdom 3 10-09-2011 05:38 PM
Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 12:17 PM
Dog poo on lawn.. camloc Lawns 1 22-01-2007 04:27 AM
Dog poo in compost George.com United Kingdom 10 12-04-2006 10:46 AM
Cat poo ( Cats again) Burl Gardening 5 25-05-2003 06:56 PM