Old 02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Bruce & Lois Nelson

interesting that the site would indicate that a straw hat is only 2. I
wear a straw hat, and use 45 on the back of my neck where the hat does not
protect. The hat protects my ears & forehead.

I was looking swim suits a while ago. A site that offered tan-thru suits
said that the suit was about SPF 5, and to get an even tan, the body parts
not in the suit needed to be coated with SPF 5.

Bruce

"Rick" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:57:53 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
Rick wrote:

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:25:09 -0400, Ann wrote:

After Rick said:

Almost all straw hats and straw sombreros have an SPF of 2 or so.
That's right-2 not the 50+ he needs (I'm a redhead). The uv goes
right through the holes in the straw hat, so they are basicallty
worthless. Get a straw hat lined with UV blocking cloth, or a

solid
type of hat and use sunscreen UVA and B at SPF 40-50+. One good

place
to find such protective gear is a good sports store and they also

have
non greasy high SPF blocks that do not come off when you sweat.

-Rick

OmManiPadmeOmelet expounded:
Where did you get that info.?
That makes no sense... A straw hat is going to block the majority of

the
sunlight. The holes are not THAT big if it's cross-woven!

I agree, I've got several straw hats that are very tightly woven and a
minimal amount of sun would ever get through them.

sigh....
Straw Hats offer very little protection-even with the freaking liners.

from

http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/derm...tment/sun.html

Ok, I see the source that you got the info. from...

but all I know is is that I NEVER EVER get sunburned on my face if I'm
wearing a straw hat.

If I don't wear one, I get sunburned......
Even on my scalp.

Now what?

Well, I'd say SPF 2 or 3 or so must be enough for you (eg 3 hrs = 1 hr
of sun). Me- I get moon burns G and I envy those who have more
melanin. But seriously a burn is not the only indication of UV
damage. Skin cancer is pretty rampant these days, and one does not
need to burn to get CA.