Old 04-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Tiziano

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

Hi Billy

I think even in New York a Gardenia would be happier outside as much as
possible. Yes, it may have to have protection from severe cold, but indoors
is a different story. Indoor air is too dry and stagnate for good plant
health.

exactly . but as for myself as I have orchids
too I vaporize water 2-3 x per week in the room
and we keep heating quite low ..for the gardenia
is fine too

Also the light is usually too weak.
exactly needs a lot of light

Of course you have hot summers and a humidity
in NY as well
I have my gardenia ( house plant) in zone 7 ..
it is autside from late May to end of September
if more than 18 20 °
My son has one inside his bay window all year
long and in excellent temp and light conditions
no fertilizer and is always covered with flowers
in time due( I am jelous :-)) , same zone 7
cheers