Old 03-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Barry Allen

Default [IBC] Cotoneaster

I recently read from a book that it is possible to grow cotoneaster as an
Indoor Bonsai so long as it is kept in cool conditions it also said that it is
also Possible to grow Firethorn indoors I would welcome any comments on this
please

Barry Zone 8
England

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Geoff Hobson

Barry,
why would you want to keep it indoors?
I would think you would have problems with it, I tried to keep a Fuschia
going indoors, but it did not like it.
Where do you live? Zones dont mean a lot, I am in Basingstoke where I would
keep Cotoneaster outside, Same applies to Pyracantha, it is a hardy plant
and as such will not like being indoors, even a cold greenhouse would not be
good for it.
Geoff.

I recently read from a book that it is possible to grow cotoneaster as an
Indoor Bonsai so long as it is kept in cool conditions it also said that it
is
also Possible to grow Firethorn indoors I would welcome any comments on
this
please

Barry Zone 8
England

************************************************** ***************************
**
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
************************************************** ***************************
**
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Tiziano

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

Is it Indoor Bonsai by Paul Lesniewicz?

Paul wrote his book thinking as a german living
in a cold climate
according his book except pines almost all are
indors
The consensus on this side of the
Atlantic is that European homes are heated and cooled differently than most
American homes so maybe trees that die here indoors will survive in European
homes, however, they will all be happier outdoors spring, summer, fall. They are
deciduous (lose their leaves in winter) and need a cool, dormant period for
good health.

adapt the plant you grow to your climate if
you live in Orlando gardenia is outddor and in NY
is indoor most of the year
be logic!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Kev Bailey

I agree with Geoff, Cotoneaster and Pyracantha may survive for a short while
indoors, but they are never going to thrive and will probably die
eventually. They are among the hardiest of plants and do really well in pots
outdoors.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
North Wales, UK, Zone 9

I recently read from a book that it is possible to grow cotoneaster as an
Indoor Bonsai so long as it is kept in cool conditions it also said that
it
is
also Possible to grow Firethorn indoors I would welcome any comments on
this
please

Barry Zone 8
England

************************************************* ****************************
**

************************************************* *******************************

http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters

Old 04-09-2005, 08:03 AM
Tiziano

Kev Bailey wrote:

I agree with Geoff, Cotoneaster and Pyracantha may survive for a short
while indoors, but they are never going to thrive and will probably die
eventually. They are among the hardiest of plants and do really well in
pots outdoors.

we have spontaneosuly born plants in zone 7
and are quite alive

Old 04-09-2005, 08:10 AM
Tiziano

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

Hi Billy

I think even in New York a Gardenia would be happier outside as much as
possible. Yes, it may have to have protection from severe cold, but indoors
is a different story. Indoor air is too dry and stagnate for good plant
health.

exactly . but as for myself as I have orchids
too I vaporize water 2-3 x per week in the room
and we keep heating quite low ..for the gardenia
is fine too

Also the light is usually too weak.
exactly needs a lot of light

Of course you have hot summers and a humidity
in NY as well
I have my gardenia ( house plant) in zone 7 ..
it is autside from late May to end of September
if more than 18 20 °
My son has one inside his bay window all year
long and in excellent temp and light conditions
no fertilizer and is always covered with flowers
in time due( I am jelous :-)) , same zone 7
cheers

Old 04-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Terry Robbins

Hi All,

I was just gifted a small NZ Tea tree in severe distress from having
been separated from it's neighbor and stuck in a new pot. Almost all
of the leaves have turned brown and are dropping. There is some green
left on the tree however. I have read that these trees are difficult
and do not like their roots disturbed. But having never cared for
this species before I thought I would put out a call for advice.

Any hope for this little guy? I live in zone 5 in the Berkshires.

Terry Robbins

Old 05-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Jim Lewis

Terry Robbins wrote:
Hi All,

I was just gifted a small NZ Tea tree in severe distress from having
been separated from it's neighbor and stuck in a new pot. Almost all of
the leaves have turned brown and are dropping. There is some green left
on the tree however. I have read that these trees are difficult and do
not like their roots disturbed. But having never cared for this species
before I thought I would put out a call for advice.

Any hope for this little guy? I live in zone 5 in the Berkshires.

Not much, I think. You're right these guys DO NOT like
their roots messed with, and without _exceptional_ care,
would sooer die than survive.

I've never even been able to move one from a nursery pot to
a training pot. :-(

GOOD LUCK.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Kitsune Miko

I moved a tea tree from a 2 gal can into a bonsai pot. It took several years. I had an old chef's knife that I would poke into the dirt at various anges cutting one cut at a time. I cut the sides and I had holes in the can to cut underneath. So I reduced the root ball without moving the plant. When I finally took it out of the can, I had a nice, smal; root ball that fit into a pot. I actually repotted it doing the same thing over the growing season. I cut parts of the root mass without taking it from the pot. It died when the ex said the irrigation system was working fine, when it was not.

Kits

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott