Old 04-09-2005, 03:37 PM
JohnOGroats JohnOGroats is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOGroats
We have two raised beds with ivy at the back suppossedly climbing a trellis. They have gone through the trellis and are growing down the other side into a field. None of the plants are doing well in these beds. Is it because of the ivy releasing something into the soil.

Assuming it is - do we add soil or remove soil or wait (until next year) The ivy's days are numbered!

It's taken an hour but the answer is a definite yes!

quote "Programs

Finding a Research Mentor

Careers in Science

Home Undergraduate SURE Past Programs Posters 2002 Matthew Biggerstaff
SU Web Posters from SURE 2002

Effects of English Ivy (Hedera helix L.) and Differences in Its Removal on Regeneration of Native Vegetation in a Southeastern Piedmont Forest
Matthew Biggerstaff and Christopher Beck
Department of Biology, Emory University

Abstract

Invasive plants can have substantial negative impacts on native flora and fauna. To determine the full effects of English Ivy (Hedera helix) and ivy removal on native vegetation, we conducted an ivy removal study in the piedmont of Georgia. Ivy was removed by hand or by herbicide, and half of each plot was restored with native seeds. We then counted the number of seedlings present in each plot bimonthly. To determine mechanisms for differences in regeneration, we determined whether ivy has allelopathic effects on seed germination and whether ivy influences the size and diversity of the seed bank. Ivy did not affect seed bank or have any allelopathic effects on seed germination. Ivy removal by pulling resulted in the greatest abundance and diversity of seedlings and responded most favorably to restoration efforts. Spraying was effective in removal of the ivy but significantly lowered seedling abundance and diversity and hindered any restoration efforts. Ivy control sites had no seedlings germinate. Therefore, the method of exotic plant removal and if any restoration work is performed can have profound effects on the regeneration of native vegetation and should be taken into consideration when any exotic plant removal projects are undertaken."