Old 04-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Registered User

Default Does common (UK) Ivy poison the soil?

We have two raised beds with ivy at the back suppossedly climbing a trellis. They have gone through the trellis and are growing down the other side into a field. None of the plants are doing well in these beds. Is it because of the ivy releasing something into the soil.

Assuming it is - do we add soil or remove soil or wait (until next year) The ivy's days are numbered!
Old 04-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JohnOGroats wrote:

We have two raised beds with ivy at the back suppossedly climbing a
trellis. They have gone through the trellis and are growing down the
other side into a field. None of the plants are doing well in these
beds. Is it because of the ivy releasing something into the soil.

Assuming it is - do we add soil or remove soil or wait (until next
year) The ivy's days are numbered!

Well, it isn't. It may be because the ivy is depriving the plants
of water, but that is a different matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOGroats
We have two raised beds with ivy at the back suppossedly climbing a trellis. They have gone through the trellis and are growing down the other side into a field. None of the plants are doing well in these beds. Is it because of the ivy releasing something into the soil.

Assuming it is - do we add soil or remove soil or wait (until next year) The ivy's days are numbered!

It's taken an hour but the answer is a definite yes!

quote "Programs

Finding a Research Mentor

Careers in Science

Home Undergraduate SURE Past Programs Posters 2002 Matthew Biggerstaff
SU Web Posters from SURE 2002

Effects of English Ivy (Hedera helix L.) and Differences in Its Removal on Regeneration of Native Vegetation in a Southeastern Piedmont Forest
Matthew Biggerstaff and Christopher Beck
Department of Biology, Emory University

Abstract

Invasive plants can have substantial negative impacts on native flora and fauna. To determine the full effects of English Ivy (Hedera helix) and ivy removal on native vegetation, we conducted an ivy removal study in the piedmont of Georgia. Ivy was removed by hand or by herbicide, and half of each plot was restored with native seeds. We then counted the number of seedlings present in each plot bimonthly. To determine mechanisms for differences in regeneration, we determined whether ivy has allelopathic effects on seed germination and whether ivy influences the size and diversity of the seed bank. Ivy did not affect seed bank or have any allelopathic effects on seed germination. Ivy removal by pulling resulted in the greatest abundance and diversity of seedlings and responded most favorably to restoration efforts. Spraying was effective in removal of the ivy but significantly lowered seedling abundance and diversity and hindered any restoration efforts. Ivy control sites had no seedlings germinate. Therefore, the method of exotic plant removal and if any restoration work is performed can have profound effects on the regeneration of native vegetation and should be taken into consideration when any exotic plant removal projects are undertaken."
Old 04-09-2005, 08:19 PM
nambucca

Well, it isn't. It may be because the ivy is depriving the plants
of water, but that is a different matter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

This years weather on top of last years and a poor winters rains means loads
of gardens and plants are suffering severly
raised beds will suffer much worse because they drain and dry out even
quicker

nicks right too ........ivy will be stripping moisture from the beds

Old 05-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from JohnOGroats contains these words:

JohnOGroats Wrote:
We have two raised beds with ivy at the back suppossedly climbing a
trellis. They have gone through the trellis and are growing down the
other side into a field. None of the plants are doing well in these
beds. Is it because of the ivy releasing something into the soil.

It's taken an hour but the answer is a definite yes!

No. The research you quote found that " Ivy did not affect seed bank or
have any allelopathic effects on seed germination.". That means, ivy
does not release something harmful into the soil which harms other
plants.

Janet.

[...]

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
How common is Common Bistort? PeterGreenMan United Kingdom 10 25-05-2009 08:51 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Does any one know how to get rid of poison ivy plants in the yard? GeneS Texas 4 16-04-2004 02:32 PM
Does any one know how to get rid of poison ivy plants in the Rick Shannon Texas 0 14-04-2004 05:02 AM