Old 04-09-2005, 05:30 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef :
I been playing around with rhubarb for years, transplanting them here
and there. And I finally come to the conclusion that they do not like
direct sunlight in an open field. They like some shade under a tree. So
I formed this conjecture that if a plant has large leaves indicates
that it evolved in the past under significant shady environment. And
this conjecture is somewhat supported by the size of jungle plant
leaves are usually very large size.

Now I am not going the other way with this conjecture, the other way of
saying that small leafed plants like direct open field sunlight.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

***
What a pity, by going the other way and by assuming that "small leafed
plants like direct open field sunlight" you might have come to the further
conclusion that plants with small leathery leaves (let's call them
sclerophyllous plants) occur in sunny and dry environments. You might have
tested this discovery and found that Google yields 42 000 hits for
"sclerophyllous". It would have been your Discovery-of-the-Year!!!
PvR