Old 04-09-2005, 06:32 AM

Default large leaves indicates plant does not like direct sun; rhubarb

I been playing around with rhubarb for years, transplanting them here
and there. And I finally come to the conclusion that they do not like
direct sunlight in an open field. They like some shade under a tree. So
I formed this conjecture that if a plant has large leaves indicates
that it evolved in the past under significant shady environment. And
this conjecture is somewhat supported by the size of jungle plant
leaves are usually very large size.

Now I am not going the other way with this conjecture, the other way of
saying that small leafed plants like direct open field sunlight.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 04-09-2005, 02:39 PM
tktemur

i am disagree with you..
for example Dieffenbachia maculata likes direct sun lights.
you should try..
i am growing one of them and when i don't open my curtains
dieffenbachias leaves falls.

Old 04-09-2005, 05:30 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef :
I been playing around with rhubarb for years, transplanting them here
and there. And I finally come to the conclusion that they do not like
direct sunlight in an open field. They like some shade under a tree. So
I formed this conjecture that if a plant has large leaves indicates
that it evolved in the past under significant shady environment. And
this conjecture is somewhat supported by the size of jungle plant
leaves are usually very large size.

Now I am not going the other way with this conjecture, the other way of
saying that small leafed plants like direct open field sunlight.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

***
What a pity, by going the other way and by assuming that "small leafed
plants like direct open field sunlight" you might have come to the further
conclusion that plants with small leathery leaves (let's call them
sclerophyllous plants) occur in sunny and dry environments. You might have
tested this discovery and found that Google yields 42 000 hits for
"sclerophyllous". It would have been your Discovery-of-the-Year!!!
PvR

Old 04-09-2005, 07:26 PM

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

***
What a pity, by going the other way and by assuming that "small leafed
plants like direct open field sunlight" you might have come to the
further
conclusion that plants with small leathery leaves (let's call them
sclerophyllous plants) occur in sunny and dry environments. You might
have
tested this discovery and found that Google yields 42 000 hits for
"sclerophyllous". It would have been your Discovery-of-the-Year!!!

Actually I was going the other way but decided to delay it for a day or
two to see what adversary posts would be attracted by the comment. In
biology whenever someone raises a "generalization" the dumb folk are
quick to point out some exception to the rule. I call them dumb because
biology is a bit different from physics where a generalization is all
inclusive but in biology which is "physics in motion" there are always
rough edges and never all inclusive generalizations. But there are
always dumbies of science.

So to put my half baked generalization of yesterday into a better form,
I am going to include the small leaf having evolved in open field
direct sunlight conditions.

I do this by combining both large leaf with small leaf in open field
and seek a physics parameter of energy. I compare the large leaf of a
weed like Kochia with the small leaf of a weed like Knot weed. Both
love open field direct sunlight. One is large leaf and the other is
small leaf. But what ties them together is that the large leaf of
Kochia is because the plant has to grow large and fast given its time
frame of 1 year whereas the Knot weed leaf is small because it is not
going to grow large.

So I need to tie together the size of the mature plant to the leaf size
to predict whether the plant likes open field sunlight rather than
shade. In the case of rhubarb the plant needs some shading. In the case
of honeylocust the tree needs open field sun. In the case of yew trees
or bushes, since the leaves are small but dense and because they do not
grow tall means they want some shading.

I think I can tie together the leaf size compared to plant maturity
size as to whether a plant evolved in open fields or whether it evolved
in shaded conditions. Most plants from the jungle are huge leafed and
most plants from open range environments such as honeylocust are small
leafed. By tying together maturity size to leaf size I can eliminate
many of the exceptions.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 05-09-2005, 07:00 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

schreef
I do this by combining both large leaf with small leaf in open field
and seek a physics parameter of energy.

So I need to tie together the size of the mature plant to the leaf size
to predict whether the plant likes open field sunlight rather than
shade.

***
Surely there are better "parameters of energy" than "mature plant size"
PvR

Old 07-09-2005, 06:38 AM
James Kibo Parry

In sci.bio.botany, Archimedes Plutonium ) wrote:

I been playing around with rhubarb for years,

Archimedes Plutonium-inspired porno movie title #31:

"Archie Plays Around With Rhubarb"

Archimedes Plutonium-inspired porno movie title #32:

"Archie Plays Around With Rhubarb... For Years"

(Holy cow, it's been four years since #30. Glad to see you've returned
to the porn industry, Archie.)

transplanting them here and there. And I finally come to the
conclusion that they do not like direct sunlight in an open field.

Have you considered not talking to them?

They like some shade under a tree. So I formed this conjecture that
if a plant has large leaves indicates that it evolved in the past
under significant shady environment. And this conjecture is somewhat
supported by the size of jungle plant leaves are usually very large size.

Your theory about all the plants in the world would make perfect sense
if there were only one type of plant.

Moss's got tiny little leaves.

Arch, which side of you does moss grow on in your world?

Now I am not going the other way with this conjecture,

Archimedes Plutonium-inspired porno movie title #33:

"Archie Goes The Other Way With A Hot Beef Conjecture"

the other way of saying that small leafed plants like direct open
field sunlight.

Horsetails, Arch? You might want to look those up.

Archimedes Plutonium-inspired porno movie title #34:

"Archie Looks Up A Horsetail"

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

So which galaxy is this? -- .

Arch, how do the galaxies know their names?

-- K.

P.S.: rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb