Old 04-09-2005, 08:04 PM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Yep, that's it except I bought it in a 6' width. No need to make
a frame. We draped it over the top then used twist ties to cover
the sides. It's easy cuz you just removed the twisties to pick.
The hubbie made a frame, etc for the strawberries; IMHO it was
more hassle than it's worth.

My blueberry "bushes" are over 25 years old, and this year I had to buy
15x30 bird netting (two pieces, very pricey). The 15' barely covered them,
even though we decapitate the darn things twice a year!

So far I know I lose the berries closest to the holes in the netting, but in
six years of using the bird netting, I have not had a single bird caught in
it. I just drape it over the plants and let it touch the ground on both
sides.

This weekend we took the netting off and put it away and I harvested the
last handful of berries, my first week of Sept ritual.

When the bushes were in shade half the day, the berries lasted a couple of
weeks longer each year than they do now they are in full sun most of the
day. But they were probably well established before the (now-gone) tree
grew up big enough to shade them!!!

laurie (Mother Mastiff)