Old 06-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:47:46 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Thanks Jan. A PH crash is unlikely, but I'll check. I have crushed coral
in
both filters.

I was treating for parasite/fungus a few weeks ago with PP. The third
treatment did seem to knock back the problem, but did not cure it. so I
started feeding Medi-Gold to cure what I think is a recurrent Columnaris
problem. I was concerned about killing the filters with the PP, so I was
rotating the filters (on/off) between treatments.

How did you detox the PP? Or did you? Even when water is brown there can
still be active PP in the system.

Sodium Thiosulphate.

I did not see any Ammonia
spikes after the PP treatments. Last week when I started feeding the
Medi-Gold I started to see a drop in Nitrates. I thought this was the
change
in food, but I should have clued in that the Cycle was dead. DOH!

I did a 50% water change again today and the Ammonia is still 1, so I
don't
think the Ammo-Lock is doing much. I may do another change tonight or
tomorrow to bring the Ammonia down to .5 and keep it there (or less) until
it falls back to zero.

Are you using the 2 bottle salicylate tester kit? With a 2 bottle tester
and using Ammo-lock or similar product, your ammonia should read zero, it
is still there, but in the non-toxic form. The water change, if the pH is
higher than the tank, could make untreated ammonia more toxic.

Yes two bottle test. Ammo Alert only tests free ammoinia and it still has
not returned to yellow. PH is 7.2 now and tap water is usually around 7.
Nitrites are still zero.

I don't believe the Medi-Koi could do in the filter. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~