Old 05-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Bill Stock

Default Can antibiotic food nuke the Biofilter?

Somewhat rhetorical I think.

I was cleaning the boys yesterday (pond refugees) and I noticed that their
Ammo-Alert was far from it's pale yellow. It was up in the danger zone, so I
tested with the Ammonia kit and it was reading around 400. YIKES. So I did a
water change and added all the Ammo-Lock I had. I also added some Stress
Zyme, but I've never had much luck with this in the past. I'll keep doing
daily water changes and replacing the Ammo-Lock until I get things going
again,

Any advice appreciated.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Somewhat rhetorical I think.

I was cleaning the boys yesterday (pond refugees) and I noticed that their
Ammo-Alert was far from it's pale yellow. It was up in the danger zone, so
I tested with the Ammonia kit and it was reading around 400. YIKES. So I
did a water change and added all the Ammo-Lock I had. I also added some
Stress Zyme, but I've never had much luck with this in the past. I'll keep
doing daily water changes and replacing the Ammo-Lock until I get things
going again,

Any advice appreciated.

======================
Without knowing how large your pond is and how many fish you have it's hard
to make suggestions. I never had an ammonia surge from feeding medicated
food.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 05-09-2005, 07:16 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:09:17 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Somewhat rhetorical I think.

I was cleaning the boys yesterday (pond refugees) and I noticed that their
Ammo-Alert was far from it's pale yellow. It was up in the danger zone, so I
tested with the Ammonia kit and it was reading around 400. YIKES. So I did a
water change and added all the Ammo-Lock I had. I also added some Stress
Zyme, but I've never had much luck with this in the past. I'll keep doing
daily water changes and replacing the Ammo-Lock until I get things going
again,

Any advice appreciated.

Check your pH & KH. Sounds like you might have had a pH crash. Be careful
with the water changes, use the Ammo-lock to bind first, then water change,
no more than 10%/day. Otherwise it will take longer for the bio-bugs to
grow and deal with the amount of ammonia created. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Jan. A PH crash is unlikely, but I'll check. I have crushed coral in
both filters.

I was treating for parasite/fungus a few weeks ago with PP. The third
treatment did seem to knock back the problem, but did not cure it. so I
started feeding Medi-Gold to cure what I think is a recurrent Columnaris
problem. I was concerned about killing the filters with the PP, so I was
rotating the filters (on/off) between treatments. I did not see any Ammonia
spikes after the PP treatments. Last week when I started feeding the
Medi-Gold I started to see a drop in Nitrates. I thought this was the change
in food, but I should have clued in that the Cycle was dead. DOH!

I did a 50% water change again today and the Ammonia is still 1, so I don't
think the Ammo-Lock is doing much. I may do another change tonight or
tomorrow to bring the Ammonia down to .5 and keep it there (or less) until
it falls back to zero.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Elaine T

Bill Stock wrote:
Somewhat rhetorical I think.

I was cleaning the boys yesterday (pond refugees) and I noticed that their
Ammo-Alert was far from it's pale yellow. It was up in the danger zone, so I
tested with the Ammonia kit and it was reading around 400. YIKES. So I did a
water change and added all the Ammo-Lock I had. I also added some Stress
Zyme, but I've never had much luck with this in the past. I'll keep doing
daily water changes and replacing the Ammo-Lock until I get things going
again,

Any advice appreciated.

I've never had it happen, but perhaps the antibiotic in your food is
eliminated by excretion rather than metabolized. Seachem's Stabiliby is
supposed to be good for restoring a cycle.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 05-09-2005, 09:52 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:47:46 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Thanks Jan. A PH crash is unlikely, but I'll check. I have crushed coral in
both filters.

I was treating for parasite/fungus a few weeks ago with PP. The third
treatment did seem to knock back the problem, but did not cure it. so I
started feeding Medi-Gold to cure what I think is a recurrent Columnaris
problem. I was concerned about killing the filters with the PP, so I was
rotating the filters (on/off) between treatments.

How did you detox the PP? Or did you? Even when water is brown there can
still be active PP in the system.

I did not see any Ammonia
spikes after the PP treatments. Last week when I started feeding the
Medi-Gold I started to see a drop in Nitrates. I thought this was the change
in food, but I should have clued in that the Cycle was dead. DOH!

I did a 50% water change again today and the Ammonia is still 1, so I don't
think the Ammo-Lock is doing much. I may do another change tonight or
tomorrow to bring the Ammonia down to .5 and keep it there (or less) until
it falls back to zero.

Are you using the 2 bottle salicylate tester kit? With a 2 bottle tester
and using Ammo-lock or similar product, your ammonia should read zero, it
is still there, but in the non-toxic form. The water change, if the pH is
higher than the tank, could make untreated ammonia more toxic.

I don't believe the Medi-Koi could do in the filter. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 06-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 15:47:46 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Thanks Jan. A PH crash is unlikely, but I'll check. I have crushed coral
in
both filters.

I was treating for parasite/fungus a few weeks ago with PP. The third
treatment did seem to knock back the problem, but did not cure it. so I
started feeding Medi-Gold to cure what I think is a recurrent Columnaris
problem. I was concerned about killing the filters with the PP, so I was
rotating the filters (on/off) between treatments.

How did you detox the PP? Or did you? Even when water is brown there can
still be active PP in the system.

Sodium Thiosulphate.

I did not see any Ammonia
spikes after the PP treatments. Last week when I started feeding the
Medi-Gold I started to see a drop in Nitrates. I thought this was the
change
in food, but I should have clued in that the Cycle was dead. DOH!

I did a 50% water change again today and the Ammonia is still 1, so I
don't
think the Ammo-Lock is doing much. I may do another change tonight or
tomorrow to bring the Ammonia down to .5 and keep it there (or less) until
it falls back to zero.

Are you using the 2 bottle salicylate tester kit? With a 2 bottle tester
and using Ammo-lock or similar product, your ammonia should read zero, it
is still there, but in the non-toxic form. The water change, if the pH is
higher than the tank, could make untreated ammonia more toxic.

Yes two bottle test. Ammo Alert only tests free ammoinia and it still has
not returned to yellow. PH is 7.2 now and tap water is usually around 7.
Nitrites are still zero.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:10 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Yes two bottle test. Ammo Alert only tests free ammoinia and it still has
not returned to yellow. PH is 7.2 now and tap water is usually around 7.
Nitrites are still zero.

Hmmm, I'm stumped. I know I've never been too impressed with Ammo-lock
myself, preferring Amquel or Chloram-X in the dry forms myself. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 07-09-2005, 04:42 PM
humBill

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Somewhat rhetorical I think.

I was cleaning the boys yesterday (pond refugees) and I noticed that their
Ammo-Alert was far from it's pale yellow. It was up in the danger zone, so
I tested with the Ammonia kit and it was reading around 400. YIKES. So I
did a water change and added all the Ammo-Lock I had. I also added some
Stress Zyme, but I've never had much luck with this in the past. I'll keep
doing daily water changes and replacing the Ammo-Lock until I get things
going again,

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Bill
I am interested in the answer to this myself. If I understood your post
these are fish FROM the pond IN an aquarium. We have been feeding medicated
food lately as well. My wife told me she recently read that 'antibiotic
food' could kill your filter. This has not been the case with us, nor was
it in the pond. However, the info came from that 'About' site which I have
found is a bit generalized but often seeded in truth = sounds like a
possibility anyway.
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 07-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Reel Mckoi

"humBill" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Bill
I am interested in the answer to this myself. If I understood your post
these are fish FROM the pond IN an aquarium. We have been feeding
medicated food lately as well. My wife told me she recently read that
'antibiotic food' could kill your filter.

** The few times I used medicated food there was no ammonia or nitrite
spike.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Bill Stock

"humBill" wrote in message
. ..

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, these GF are in an aquarium. Pond refugees from two seasons ago, three
Heron survivors and two fry (now 3").

I originally thought the Potassium Permanganate treatments killed the
filter, but I did not see the Ammonia spike until after I started feeding
the medicated food. Roughly two weeks after the PP. I'm just lucky I noticed
the Ammonia Alert was not it's normal Yellow. They usually get so covered in
Algae that I don't always notice them. The Ammonia was getting close to 8
when I did their weekly water change.

BTW, the food contains sulfadimethoxine, ormetoprim sulfa, oxolinic acid and
kannamycin.

Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Bill Stock

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Yes two bottle test. Ammo Alert only tests free ammoinia and it still has
not returned to yellow. PH is 7.2 now and tap water is usually around 7.
Nitrites are still zero.

Hmmm, I'm stumped. I know I've never been too impressed with Ammo-lock
myself, preferring Amquel or Chloram-X in the dry forms myself. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Thanks Jan.

It was actually Ammo Chips, I knew it had Ammo in it.

The Ammonia was down to 1 last night after another water change. I added
some gravel from another tank and the Ammonia dropped off to zero tonight.
Unlikely the bacteria took off that quickly, probably the Ammo Chips
catching up.

Old 10-09-2005, 04:24 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 21:25:27 -0400, "Bill Stock" wrote:

It was actually Ammo Chips, I knew it had Ammo in it.

Zeolite? Whole different thing, you need an ammonia neutralizer like Amquel
or Chloram-X. Zeolite removes the ammonia till it is saturated and then
stops. It converts the ammonia making it non-toxic to the fish, yet still
in a form the bacteria in the filter can use and regrow from. If what
you're using is Zeolite, the bacteria in the filter won't have access to
it. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 15-09-2005, 06:31 PM
humBill

Hi Bill
Sorry - puter has been down and workload up. From what you have described I
would GUESS no to the antibiotic food. I do know PP will definitely kill
the filter and anything organic, along with the fish off course, if left
long enough. Maybe it just took a bit for the ammonia to build up??? I dont
know anything about those ingredients. Despite my warning my Medi Koi never
seems to harm the filter.
Bill

"Bill Stock" wrote in message

"humBill" wrote in message