Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
J Jackson

Lynda Thornton wrote:
: Hi

: I am not at all convinced that what I have been thinking was a Bramley
: seedling tree in our garden is one, even though the fruit seem to taste
: Bramleyish when cooked. The thing is that the apples are often ready
: and start falling by late August/early September and are never that
: super green Bramley colour, they are often a paler yellow-green, and
: sometimes have a blush of pink. Could they still be Bramleys or is
: there another cooker variety with a similar flavour and cooking
: behaviour (the fluffy way they go)? I have no idea about any other
: cooking apples by the way, I've only ever dealt with Bramleys so I don't
: know if others taste or cook similarly - is there a knowledgeable
: cooking apple person on the newsgroup?

Bramleys when ripe are not plain green they go yellowish with varying red
tinge. Commercially they are picked when green and under ripe, and hence
fool people into thinking that is how they are. In fact a Bramley picked
ripe in October, is perfectly eatable.

My Bramley is dropping a lot of early fruit, and not all of it the fruit
bearing grubs and pests - I think it is because of the weather conditions.
We have had less rain than usual. The apples are fine and cook well,
though the juice I've pressed from some was pretty sharp.

Several other apples are ripening earlier than usual this year, despite
blossoming later than usual.