Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Bramley or not?

Hi

I am not at all convinced that what I have been thinking was a Bramley
seedling tree in our garden is one, even though the fruit seem to taste
Bramleyish when cooked. The thing is that the apples are often ready
and start falling by late August/early September and are never that
super green Bramley colour, they are often a paler yellow-green, and
sometimes have a blush of pink. Could they still be Bramleys or is
there another cooker variety with a similar flavour and cooking
behaviour (the fluffy way they go)? I have no idea about any other
cooking apples by the way, I've only ever dealt with Bramleys so I don't
know if others taste or cook similarly - is there a knowledgeable
cooking apple person on the newsgroup?

Thanks
Lynda

Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Brian

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I am not at all convinced that what I have been thinking was a Bramley
seedling tree in our garden is one, even though the fruit seem to taste
Bramleyish when cooked. The thing is that the apples are often ready
and start falling by late August/early September and are never that
super green Bramley colour, they are often a paler yellow-green, and
sometimes have a blush of pink. Could they still be Bramleys or is
there another cooker variety with a similar flavour and cooking
behaviour (the fluffy way they go)? I have no idea about any other
cooking apples by the way, I've only ever dealt with Bramleys so I don't
know if others taste or cook similarly - is there a knowledgeable
cooking apple person on the newsgroup?

Thanks
Lynda

~~~~~~~~~~~
A Bramley has a fleshy stalk which is plump and twisted on the apple.
A normal dry stalk suggests other than true Bramley. As with Cox's there
are a number of apples that have the Bramley parentage and are thus a little
similar~~ cooking-wise at least.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 PM
david taylor

There are many varieties of cooking apple. Bramley is not an early apple as
yours seems to be. It also has a rather flat shape-broader than it is tall.
Regards
David T

Old 05-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Andy

[...]

Bramleys do go a bit flushed eventually. I have had very few fall so far
this
year. They have a characteristic shape (mostly). Are you able to post
photos?

Andy.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
J Jackson

Lynda Thornton wrote:
: Hi

: I am not at all convinced that what I have been thinking was a Bramley
: seedling tree in our garden is one, even though the fruit seem to taste
: Bramleyish when cooked. The thing is that the apples are often ready
: and start falling by late August/early September and are never that
: super green Bramley colour, they are often a paler yellow-green, and
: sometimes have a blush of pink. Could they still be Bramleys or is
: there another cooker variety with a similar flavour and cooking
: behaviour (the fluffy way they go)? I have no idea about any other
: cooking apples by the way, I've only ever dealt with Bramleys so I don't
: know if others taste or cook similarly - is there a knowledgeable
: cooking apple person on the newsgroup?

Bramleys when ripe are not plain green they go yellowish with varying red
tinge. Commercially they are picked when green and under ripe, and hence
fool people into thinking that is how they are. In fact a Bramley picked
ripe in October, is perfectly eatable.

My Bramley is dropping a lot of early fruit, and not all of it the fruit
bearing grubs and pests - I think it is because of the weather conditions.
We have had less rain than usual. The apples are fine and cook well,
though the juice I've pressed from some was pretty sharp.

Several other apples are ripening earlier than usual this year, despite
blossoming later than usual.

Old 11-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Larry Stoter

Lynda Thornton wrote:

Hi

I am not at all convinced that what I have been thinking was a Bramley
seedling tree in our garden is one, even though the fruit seem to taste
Bramleyish when cooked. The thing is that the apples are often ready
and start falling by late August/early September and are never that
super green Bramley colour, they are often a paler yellow-green, and
sometimes have a blush of pink. Could they still be Bramleys or is
there another cooker variety with a similar flavour and cooking
behaviour (the fluffy way they go)? I have no idea about any other
cooking apples by the way, I've only ever dealt with Bramleys so I don't
know if others taste or cook similarly - is there a knowledgeable
cooking apple person on the newsgroup?

Thanks
Lynda

If you're anywhere near Hertfordshire .....

The Hertfordshire Wildlife Trust
(http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/herts/) have an old orchard, containing
a number of apple varieties, as a reserve at Tewin, near Welwyn Garden
City. October 8th/9th they have a open weekend, where you can taste
apples from the orchard and a number of experts are present who will
identify any apples you take along. Cider tasting, jazz band and lunches
as well - makes a good day out.
--
Larry Stoter