Old 07-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Dogma Discharge

"Justin" wrote in message
hi all,

I have two choices either Potassium Nitrate (as recommended for PMDD) or
Calcium Nitrate which is what I would prefer to use... I have a problem
with my tank not having enough calcium and it shows in my Rotala so I

would
like to use this if I could... The only problem is it is 14.5% Nitrate

19%
Calcium and 1% Ammonium Nitrate... I realise that the ammonium is bad as
per Georges response to my last post, but as I will only be adding about 1
teaspoon to my PMDD mix, I was assuming that the filter could manage to
break down the small amount that would be added by my daily addition of
PMDD...

Hi Justin.

KNO3 (aka Potassium Nitrate) would be much better to use. How do you know
you have a calcium problem? I seriously doubt its a calcium problem. More
than likely its a co2 or Macro nutrient problem. Forget about the calcium
unless your water is extremely soft. Stay away from ammonium, use the
Potassium Nitrate. Rotala sometimes looks a bit shagged out when Trace
elements are low.

Dolomite pills are cheap and contain the right balance of Calcium/magnesium.
If you still think you have a calcium problem then use these instead of the
calcium nitrate.

Kind Regards
Cameron