Old 26-12-2002, 11:38 PM
Simon K

Default OT & a little odd, but perhaps you chaps can help me

"MC Emily" wrote in message =
I have horses, too, so understand your problem. Our gateways are a =

quagmire
at the moment and we're on clay as well. I'm sure you can imagine!

SNIP

Hi Jaqy

well, the chippings idea is well based, as the majority of schools are =
covered in this these days. The main thing as you know is to provide an =
enviroment where the mud is, if not eradicated, greatly reduced.

We dont have any stabling (what a landlady - she wont put the planning =
permission in as she is holding out to sell the land for housing in a =
few years, and doesnt want to "rock the boat") - dont get me wrong about =
her, we pay as much as the land is worth, which in present state isnt a =
lot, but we get 7 acres!!

The best idea so far is:

1) make a frame out of 6" joists
2) lay a tarpaulin straight over the mud, setting it in such a way that =
a natural drainage channel exists (ie one side higher)
3) fill the bottom 3" with wood chippings (like you use for rabbit =
bedding) and roll these to compact with a garden roller, or heavier
4) fill the remaining 3" with bark/wood fibre. again, this needs =
compressing, but gives a surface that will drain through, and will be ok =
for the horses feet.

Someone else suggested putting some hardcore down first - we cant do =
that as it would draw too much attention, likewise sand - not eco =
friendly and wont rot back to nothing given enough time.

regds

Si