Old 08-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Danny

Take a look at variegated ginger and cast iron plants. They may not be "low
growing" but do quite well in the shade. I also have ajuga reptens or
"carpet bugle" growing in the shade and they do quite well, but might be
considered "cover growth".
Also, check out hardy begonias, chinese fern, and autumn fern. Leatherleaf
Mahonia also does well in the shade but might be too tall.

Finally, check out oakleaf hydrangeas, they do quite well in the shade, but
again, may not meet your height requirements.

Danny Hardesty

"Scott Studier" wrote in message
. ..
I want to plant some individual low growing shade plants in my well shaded
backyard. I thought about hostas but found that they may struggle in
Corpus
Christi. I want to avoid what would be considered shrubs, trees, or cover
growth. Any suggestions?