Old 08-09-2005, 01:11 AM
Scott Studier

Default Low Growing Shade Plants

I want to plant some individual low growing shade plants in my well shaded
backyard. I thought about hostas but found that they may struggle in
Corpus
Christi. I want to avoid what would be considered shrubs, trees, or cover
growth. Any suggestions?

Old 08-09-2005, 02:22 AM
Danny

Take a look at variegated ginger and cast iron plants. They may not be "low
growing" but do quite well in the shade. I also have ajuga reptens or
"carpet bugle" growing in the shade and they do quite well, but might be
considered "cover growth".
Also, check out hardy begonias, chinese fern, and autumn fern. Leatherleaf
Mahonia also does well in the shade but might be too tall.

Finally, check out oakleaf hydrangeas, they do quite well in the shade, but
again, may not meet your height requirements.

Danny Hardesty

. ..

Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 AM
Cliff

Cast Iron plant, Holly fern, Dwarf Mexican Petunia, Liriope, Monkey grass,
Turks cap- can be kept to 3-4 feet with an occasional trim, dwarf Yaupon
holly(might be considered a shrub).
Japanese Aryla, Phidendron, Peace lilly if it doesn't freeze too hard,
Mother in laws tounge

Old 08-09-2005, 02:56 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Scott Studier" wrote:

I want to plant some individual low growing shade plants in my well shaded
backyard. I thought about hostas but found that they may struggle in
Corpus
Christi. I want to avoid what would be considered shrubs, trees, or cover
growth. Any suggestions?

English Ivy does well in the shade and is tough enough to grow just
about anywhere. :-)

Cheers!
--
Om.