Old 09-09-2005, 12:16 AM
Jim Lewis

Wayne C. Morris wrote:
In article ,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

JaneyP wrote:

Bonsai , Japanese Miniature Trees :- Their Style Cultivation & styling
by Kan Yashiroda
Really thorough vintage manual on the craft , covers just about
everything.

Some headings:- Classification of shape of trunk / Classification of
style of growing / Technique of dwarfing / Raisnig bonsai from seeds &
cuttings / Mame bonsai /Bonsai cultivation of crysanthemums etc.

This is SPAM.

No, it isn't.

A for-sale or for-auction message is not spam unless the merchandise is
off-topic for the group, or the message violates the group's written rules,
or it is sent to individuals (not a list) without their permission.

JaneyP is selling a bonsai-related book. She posted her message only once.
The rec.arts.bonsai newsgroup (where she posted) and the IBC mailing list
(from which you replied) do not have any written rules against for-sale
messages. Therefore her message is not spam.

The IBC list's Welcome message says "Spam is mail sent to the list by
people trying to sell something that isn't bonsai related". Note those
last four words. That message makes no other mention of "for-sale"
messages, which implies that it's okay to try to sell bonsai-related stuff.

The IBC web forum has a "no for-sale posts" rule, but that only applies to
the web forum, not the mailing list or the newsgroup.

God. You must be a damned lawyer. Even so, AFIK *no one*
has appointed you to represent the IBC. Particularly since
you are one of those really, really nice guys who bollix up
their return address so one one can reply privately to you
-- which I would have much preferred to do.

The IBC (list and news group) (and I as a member) pre-date
E-bay by 10 years or more. Ever since E-bay cranked up we
have had Non-regulars "drop by" to post news of the
wunnerful "stuff" they have for sale, and we have at _every_
instance responded with a notice that this is not appropriate.

I suppose we MIGHT make an exception if someone who had made
a contribution here from time to time happened to have
something for sale, but that certainly isn't the case here.
JaneyP is a total stranger, and I'd bet we'll never hear
of or from her again -- unless she has _another_ wunnerful
book to sell. She probably is a dealer.

We have iterated and re-iterated here that we will NOT open
the floodgates to every jerk and yahoo who happens to have a
plant, a pot, (or a book) for sale on any one of the auction
sites.

If you insist that the welcome message be changed (you
probably are the only person other than me -- and I wrote
it! -- who has ever read it) that certainly can be done.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++