Old 09-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Sarah Dale

VX wrote:
The Bakker catalogue describes prostrate juniper, Juniperus Horizontalis
Wiltonii, as "the perfect alternative to a lawn. This spreading conifer is
evergreen and has very dense growth". £27.95 for a pack of 6 plants with
diameter 15-20 cm.

Well, as the owner of an inherited prostrate juniper or evergreen of
some description in a border location, I have to say its not a good lawn
replacement - don't ask what it is 'coz I don't know!

The plant actually sits about 8-12" high in total. It's rough to touch
and has branches etc.. It's not a plant you could walk on particularly
safely not being flat , and walking through it would leave you with
scratched ankles.

Hasving said that for a small area that you weren't going to walk on or
put stepping stones in, it would provide the colour green and look very
attractive. They do need pruning occasionaly to keep in bounds. The
otherr thing I would be wary of is the size of plant offered, and how
long it is going to take to grow to cover the area you want it to.

HTh

Sarah