Old 08-09-2005, 08:25 PM
VX

Default Prostrate juniper for lawn?

The Bakker catalogue describes prostrate juniper, Juniperus Horizontalis
Wiltonii, as "the perfect alternative to a lawn. This spreading conifer is
evergreen and has very dense growth". £27.95 for a pack of 6 plants with
diameter 15-20 cm.

I'm a bit sceptical but actually this could be a good option for me. I don't
want a grass lawn that needs mowing, and it would not get a lot of wear- just
the ocsasional human pottering around and occasional visitors. My garden is
very small and the lawn area would be about twelve feet by seven. If this
isn't a terrible disaster it might just work well. But I have never heard of
anyone using this plant for a lawn and it seems sensible to ask if anyone
else has.

Any ideas or info about this one?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
VX wrote:
The Bakker catalogue describes prostrate juniper, Juniperus Horizontalis
Wiltonii, as "the perfect alternative to a lawn. This spreading conifer is
evergreen and has very dense growth". £27.95 for a pack of 6 plants with
diameter 15-20 cm.

I'm a bit sceptical but actually this could be a good option for me. I don't
want a grass lawn that needs mowing, and it would not get a lot of wear- just
the ocsasional human pottering around and occasional visitors. My garden is
very small and the lawn area would be about twelve feet by seven. If this
isn't a terrible disaster it might just work well. But I have never heard of
anyone using this plant for a lawn and it seems sensible to ask if anyone
else has.

It might be a good alternative, if you regard a lawn as something
to look at, and JUST possibly allow the occasional visitor to walk
on barefoot. There is nothing that is less hassle than grass for
a lawn if you every have anyone walking on it in shoes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:41 PM
datsy

It might be a good alternative, if you regard a lawn as something
to look at, and JUST possibly allow the occasional visitor to walk
on barefoot. There is nothing that is less hassle than grass for
a lawn if you every have anyone walking on it in shoes.

What about chamomile as a lawn, or thyme? I've been thinking about these as
I don't particularly like grass, particularly when it needs mowing ;-( . My
bits of lawn are mainly for looking at + walking on to put the washing out +
lying on in the sun, but in Scotland that's not too often.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:22 PM
VX

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:35:27 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote
(in message ):

It might be a good alternative, if you regard a lawn as something
to look at, and JUST possibly allow the occasional visitor to walk
on barefoot. There is nothing that is less hassle than grass for
a lawn if you every have anyone walking on it in shoes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have to ask- what happens if I occasionally walk on it? I would normally
walk on this hypothetical lawn once or twice a week, wearing some sort of
footwear, to do some watering and dead-heading of what is around it. And of
course to do other gardening around it. Maybe I could manage all that by
having stepping stones around (within) the circumference and down the
centre....

I'm thinking it HAS to be better than a grass lawn simply because the
existing very badly neglected and 30% bald grass lawn hasn't b een mown by
me at all since I moved here in March- my physical limitations make mowing
pretty much off-limits and so it just hasn't been done. I can't get others to
mow it because when I can get help there is always other stuff that is more
important. So a non-mow juniper or chamomile (?) lawn is still looking like a
better alternative to the awful neglected exciuse for a that lawn I currently
have.

Any ideas for other non-grass lawns that might work better?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 08-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Brian

VX wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This could only be used as ground cover~ for appearance. Walking on it
would both twist ankles and break off parts. Weeding would be a real pain.
I have used it on the edge of a raised lawn and it hung down
attractively.
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
VX wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 20:35:27 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote
(in message ):

It might be a good alternative, if you regard a lawn as something
to look at, and JUST possibly allow the occasional visitor to walk
on barefoot. There is nothing that is less hassle than grass for
a lawn if you every have anyone walking on it in shoes.

I have to ask- what happens if I occasionally walk on it? I would normally
walk on this hypothetical lawn once or twice a week, wearing some sort of
footwear, to do some watering and dead-heading of what is around it. And of
course to do other gardening around it. Maybe I could manage all that by
having stepping stones around (within) the circumference and down the
centre....

Shoes tend to be hard, and it is the crushing that causes the damage.
Stepping stones could well work.

I'm thinking it HAS to be better than a grass lawn simply because the
existing very badly neglected and 30% bald grass lawn hasn't b een mown by
me at all since I moved here in March- my physical limitations make mowing
pretty much off-limits and so it just hasn't been done. I can't get others to
mow it because when I can get help there is always other stuff that is more
important. So a non-mow juniper or chamomile (?) lawn is still looking like a
better alternative to the awful neglected exciuse for a that lawn I currently
have.

Hope springs infernal.

Such lawns are more effort, as you HAVE to weed them. Thyme is good
in poor, dry soil, as that will help to keep weeds down - and the
answer to datsy is "In Scotland?" Remember that, whenever people
say that something HAS to be better than what they have, they are
about to learn a bitter lesson.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:28 PM
ned

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Does it *have* to be lawn?
For an area 12' x 7', is gravel on a weed suppressing membrane out of
the question?
It could be green gravel. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 24.08.2005

Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM
John McMillan

I don't
want a grass lawn that needs mowing, and it would not get a lot of

wear- just
the ocsasional human pottering around and occasional visitors. My

garden is
very small and the lawn area would be about twelve feet by seven.

Any ideas or info about this one?

"LIBERATING LAWNS" by Rosemary Castle is a good read

http://www.eco-logicbooks.com/index....iliate_id =18
Old 09-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Sarah Dale

VX wrote:
The Bakker catalogue describes prostrate juniper, Juniperus Horizontalis
Wiltonii, as "the perfect alternative to a lawn. This spreading conifer is
evergreen and has very dense growth". £27.95 for a pack of 6 plants with
diameter 15-20 cm.

Well, as the owner of an inherited prostrate juniper or evergreen of
some description in a border location, I have to say its not a good lawn
replacement - don't ask what it is 'coz I don't know!

The plant actually sits about 8-12" high in total. It's rough to touch
and has branches etc.. It's not a plant you could walk on particularly
safely not being flat , and walking through it would leave you with
scratched ankles.

Hasving said that for a small area that you weren't going to walk on or
put stepping stones in, it would provide the colour green and look very
attractive. They do need pruning occasionaly to keep in bounds. The
otherr thing I would be wary of is the size of plant offered, and how
long it is going to take to grow to cover the area you want it to.

HTh

Sarah
Old 09-09-2005, 09:12 PM
VX

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 15:22:10 +0100, John McMillan wrote
(in message ):

I don't
want a grass lawn that needs mowing, and it would not get a lot of

wear- just
the ocsasional human pottering around and occasional visitors. My

garden is
very small and the lawn area would be about twelve feet by seven.

Any ideas or info about this one?

"LIBERATING LAWNS" by Rosemary Castle is a good read

http://www.eco-logicbooks.com/index....=449&affiliate
_id=18

Looks interesting, duly ordered! Thanks.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 09-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Padger

If your area is not too large consider a grass lawn but house a couple of
guinea pigs on it and they will keepit short (and fertilised) worked for me
when the kids were young and I was away at work a lot.
Altrnatively why not a clover lawn, green and hard wearing with the bonus of
attracting pollinating insects. Worth a thought.

Prostrate Evergreen les United Kingdom 1 17-05-2004 01:10 AM
planting blue rug juniper and blue star juniper sams Gardening 1 24-04-2004 01:02 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? sam crowell Bonsai 21 12-02-2003 09:25 PM
Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? MainAt Bonsai 1 10-02-2003 04:26 AM