Old 10-09-2005, 03:25 AM
Roger Snipes

Michael is totally right here. It is not worth risking ramification that
one has worked years to develop, or even the total loss of a tree, by
skimping on winter protection. And, as we all know, USDA zone temps are
averages, it can occasionally get much colder than the published numbers.
Also, I am willing to bet that many, if not most, of us are growing bonsai
that would not be hardy in our particular zones if they were out in the
ground. For these trees good winter protection is essential.

My main winter storage area is a cold frame. I have a temperature sensor in
it, and it never gets colder than 25 deg. F, even when the outside air temp
has dropped to -10 or -15 F. This allows me to confidently keep material
that would never survive here without protection. A decent cold frame is
not that hard to construct, and is well worth the effort when you consider
the time and money we all invest in our trees.

Regards,
Roger Snipes
Spokane, WA. Zone 5-ish