Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Jim Lewis

Bill Neff wrote:

In a message dated 9/6/2005 4:22:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

In some of the books it is recommended to layer soil in bonsai pots. With
larger particles toward the bottom and getting smaller going up.
This was probably done to promote good drainage, BUT, we no longer do this
and just use the proper soil (depending upon the species of plant, stage of
development, etc.) for the entire pot,

I find it interesting that the students of a major artist are still taught
this method. And many member of my club swear by putting a drainage layer in
pots. Not trying to start any arguements just an observation.

Bill

Well, it has worked for "hundreds" of years. We know now
that water flows through much easier if there are NO widely
different soil layers, but it probably doesn't make a lot of
difference in the long run. Roots, the actual flow of water
through the soil, the actual act of planting the tree in the
pot, and other factors probably mix most of the layers
(except perhaps for the worst one -- the large pebbles in
the bottom) anyway.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++