Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Jim Lewis

Bill Neff wrote:

In a message dated 9/6/2005 4:22:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

In some of the books it is recommended to layer soil in bonsai pots. With
larger particles toward the bottom and getting smaller going up.
This was probably done to promote good drainage, BUT, we no longer do this
and just use the proper soil (depending upon the species of plant, stage of
development, etc.) for the entire pot,

I find it interesting that the students of a major artist are still taught
this method. And many member of my club swear by putting a drainage layer in
pots. Not trying to start any arguements just an observation.

Bill

Well, it has worked for "hundreds" of years. We know now
that water flows through much easier if there are NO widely
different soil layers, but it probably doesn't make a lot of
difference in the long run. Roots, the actual flow of water
through the soil, the actual act of planting the tree in the
pot, and other factors probably mix most of the layers
(except perhaps for the worst one -- the large pebbles in
the bottom) anyway.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Sue Marsh

I've also noticed that all of my pots, whether layered or not, have most of
the roots at the bottom. After all, roots do grow downwards so that makes
sense. I don't bother layering (the ones that are layered were givent to me
like that). I do however put a layer of pebbles at the bottom-but that's
because I don't use screens on the drainage holes.
When I dig in the yard here, the soils aren't layered and the trees do just
fine .
Susan marsh

Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy...n.asp?cid=3963

Old 11-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Jim Lewis

Sue Marsh wrote:
I've also noticed that all of my pots, whether layered or not, have most
of the roots at the bottom. After all, roots do grow downwards so that
makes sense. I don't bother layering (the ones that are layered were
givent to me like that). I do however put a layer of pebbles at the
bottom-but that's because I don't use screens on the drainage holes.
When I dig in the yard here, the soils aren't layered and the trees do
just fine .
Susan marsh

Yards and pots are a bit different.

HOWEVER, natural soil is, in fact, layered. The upper
layers are mostly organic, the next layers are mostly
mineral, and the lower layers are _all_ mineral.

As I said earlier, it probably doesn't really matter if you
layer your soil, but it's easier not to. :-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of
nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you (that) the
berries are just about all gone. -- Uncle Dave Macon, musician

Old 13-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Tiziano

Jim Lewis wrote:

I find it interesting that the students of a major artist are still
taught this method. And many member of my club swear by putting a
drainage layer in pots. Not trying to start any arguements just an
observation.

Bill

Well, it has worked for "hundreds" of years. We know now that water
flows through much easier if there are NO widely different soil layers,
but it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the long run.
Roots, the actual flow of water through the soil, the actual act of
planting the tree in the pot, and other factors probably mix most of the
layers (except perhaps for the worst one -- the large pebbles in the
bottom) anyway.

moreover small particles tends to be carried
down by watering and clog if the

mix is all the same saze , and roots tends to
run deep on theh pot surface this is why for a
better drainage and aeration and watering is
adviced to have a layer of coarse drainage .. if
roots rot sets in is a real pain in the neck and
when you loose a valuable plant you have
understood how useful it is, for once and for all!
!