Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Brian White

My weedwacker is Bolens; is Toro a commercial grade trimmer? Would the
commercial grade work in my Bolens BL 100?
"Tom J" wrote in message
link.net...

"Brian White" wrote in message
Just to poll the newsgroup, I have found a couple things that make
weedwackers work well. #1, do single wound, not double wound
string. i.e.
only wind one roll of string and one piece coming out of one of the
eyelets.
Leave the other end wound on top of by the wound string you are
using. #2,
I think the smaller string welds and binds because the inner spool,
outer
spool, and then the string gets hot when you use it for a long time.
So,
dip the spool in a bucket of ice water for a couple of minutes if
it's hot
outside or you're using it for a long time.

Anyone had similar success with single wound string?

I use #90 commercial grade double wound string in my Toro trimmer. I
can edge 60 feet of drive and 80 feet of curbing, usually with 1 or 2
bumps of the reel. I bought a $10 spool about 9 years ago when I
bought the trimmer. It's red in color and hard to cut with a regular
pocket knife. I must still have 1/2 of it and see no reason to change.

Tom J