Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Brian White

Default Weedwackers

Just to poll the newsgroup, I have found a couple things that make
weedwackers work well. #1, do single wound, not double wound string. i.e.
only wind one roll of string and one piece coming out of one of the eyelets.
Leave the other end wound on top of by the wound string you are using. #2,
I think the smaller string welds and binds because the inner spool, outer
spool, and then the string gets hot when you use it for a long time. So,
dip the spool in a bucket of ice water for a couple of minutes if it's hot
outside or you're using it for a long time.

Anyone had similar success with single wound string?

Old 11-09-2005, 03:03 AM
Tom J

"Brian White" wrote in message
Just to poll the newsgroup, I have found a couple things that make
weedwackers work well. #1, do single wound, not double wound
string. i.e.
only wind one roll of string and one piece coming out of one of the
eyelets.
Leave the other end wound on top of by the wound string you are
using. #2,
I think the smaller string welds and binds because the inner spool,
outer
spool, and then the string gets hot when you use it for a long time.
So,
dip the spool in a bucket of ice water for a couple of minutes if
it's hot
outside or you're using it for a long time.

Anyone had similar success with single wound string?

I use #90 commercial grade double wound string in my Toro trimmer. I
can edge 60 feet of drive and 80 feet of curbing, usually with 1 or 2
bumps of the reel. I bought a $10 spool about 9 years ago when I
bought the trimmer. It's red in color and hard to cut with a regular
pocket knife. I must still have 1/2 of it and see no reason to change.

Tom J

Old 11-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Brian White

My weedwacker is Bolens; is Toro a commercial grade trimmer? Would the
commercial grade work in my Bolens BL 100?
link.net...

Old 11-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Timothy

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 02:41:26 +0000, Brian White wrote:

My weedwacker is Bolens; is Toro a commercial grade trimmer? Would the
commercial grade work in my Bolens BL 100? "Tom J"

I use a husqvarna commercial trimmer and I can say with out a doubt that
commercial trimmers do not use .90 string. Most commercial trimmers use
..105 or better. Double line is way better than single line (cuts twice as
much in half the time) and the melting you get is due to the head
overheating. The overheating is most likely due to the overly heavy
workload for the string size or due to the geardrive in the head
overheating. The geardrive would be overheating if it is low on grease or
if it's cheap and made for lighter work. Btw, dunking your trimmerhead
into ice water is just plain silly. If you feel the need to that, then you
need a better trimmer that can handle your workload.

Many homeowner trimmer will come with .80 string but many of them can
handle .90 without any problems. They reccommend .80 string.... so they
can sell more string. .90 string will last quite a bit longer if it is
good quality.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 11-09-2005, 10:16 PM
Brian White

.. If you feel the need to that, then you
need a better trimmer that can handle your workload.

Can't do that; can't afford another weed wacker. Want to work with the one
I've got.

Brian

Old 11-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:16:32 +0000, Brian White wrote:

. If you feel the need to that, then you
need a better trimmer that can handle your workload.

Can't do that; can't afford another weed wacker. Want to work with the
one I've got.

Brian

Go to a .90 line (if you can) and slow down your head speed. If you keep
overheating the head and quick cooling it (water dunking) you'll end up
warping something. Besides lots of water has no place in the gearhousing
of the unit.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com
Old 12-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Tom J

My weedwacker is Bolens; is Toro a commercial grade trimmer? Would
the
commercial grade work in my Bolens BL 100?

The Toro is not a commercial grade trimmer, but does handle the .90
commercial grade line. Go buy a small package and give it a try & you
make be surprised. As others have said, if yours is getting hot enough
to melt the line, you don't have enough trimmer for the job, or you
are running it too fast and trying to get the job done in too short a
time.
Tom J

link.net...

Old 24-08-2006, 04:54 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I just left a mower repair place trying to get my starter rope
replaced. I have a Sears trimmer and the guy at the shop said it's
the worst one to work on, he says he has to take the whole thing apart
just about and will charge me a minimum of one hour labor ($55.00) to
change the starter rope.

He suggested the Echo, he advised they are easy to work on and last a
long time. He also said the lawn maintenance people all use them
because of the ease of maintenance and long life of the machine.

He suggested I go buy another trimmer and repair the old Sears one at
my pleasure and keep it as a backup.

I haven't thought about the string thing! The old sears one I had
used the plastic strips, I had to put a new one on every time I cut
the yard.

So your string comment is going to be pondered upon by me!

Tom