Old 12-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Andy

"david taylor" wrote in message
Indoors and dry is the safe answer, and this is what I do in the South
Hams for special tub and basket plants. Those in the borders do survive to
grow the next year.
I know that fuschias and bougainvillias have less hardy strains. The
intensely variagated pelargoniums are more difficult to propagate and in
the absence of any other advice on their hardihood I would bring these
indoors.
Regards
David T.
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from TriciaMcCartney
contains these words:

I have several thriving pelagoniums acquired this year from cuttings
from my mother, and this will be their first winter. I have read a
great deal of advice on overwintering indoors or in a glasshouse. I
have also noticed that alot of people leave theirs planted in their
gardens down here. Any advice from others living in damp, frost-free
(most of the time) West Cornwall woud be appreciated.

I overwinter them (in Norfolk) indoors, as cuttings, and by spring they
are ready to be put out.

In Cornwall, they might survive the winter, especially if protected with

I find even in an unheated greenhouse in the southwest there is a small
mortality rate with pelargoniums. The problem is that they can rot from
the tips down. I cut off the rot when I see it but sometimes a plant just
can't be saved. I pot them up and put them on some staging and hardly
water them at all during winter. Is this the correct way?

Andy.