Old 12-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Registered User

Location: West Cornwall
Default Over-wintering pelargoniums

I have several thriving pelagoniums acquired this year from cuttings from my mother, and this will be their first winter. I have read a great deal of advice on overwintering indoors or in a glasshouse. I have also noticed that alot of people leave theirs planted in their gardens down here. Any advice from others living in damp, frost-free (most of the time) West Cornwall woud be appreciated.

Tricia
Old 12-09-2005, 01:12 PM
david taylor

Indoors and dry is the safe answer, and this is what I do in the South Hams
for special tub and basket plants. Those in the borders do survive to grow
the next year.
I know that fuschias and bougainvillias have less hardy strains. The
intensely variagated pelargoniums are more difficult to propagate and in the
absence of any other advice on their hardihood I would bring these indoors.
Regards
David T.
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from TriciaMcCartney
contains these words:

I have several thriving pelagoniums acquired this year from cuttings
from my mother, and this will be their first winter. I have read a
great deal of advice on overwintering indoors or in a glasshouse. I
have also noticed that alot of people leave theirs planted in their
gardens down here. Any advice from others living in damp, frost-free
(most of the time) West Cornwall woud be appreciated.

I overwinter them (in Norfolk) indoors, as cuttings, and by spring they
are ready to be put out.

In Cornwall, they might survive the winter, especially if protected with
fleece if there is a threat of frost.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 12-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Andy

"david taylor" wrote in message
[...]

I find even in an unheated greenhouse in the southwest there is a small
mortality rate with pelargoniums. The problem is that they can rot from
the tips down. I cut off the rot when I see it but sometimes a plant just
can't be saved. I pot them up and put them on some staging and hardly
water them at all during winter. Is this the correct way?

Andy.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from TriciaMcCartney
contains these words:

Old 13-09-2005, 10:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from TriciaMcCartney
contains these words:

/overwintering pelargoniums/

(or do I mean pelargonii?)

my mother keeps hers in a glasshouse on staging and they usually
survive, but I have no glasshouse; backyard too small. Also, in the
winter it gets so damp down here at the pointy bit of the country; I
think I'll keep them in the spare room.

Sounds sensible, but keep them ai the window, and with as much space
between plants as possible.

I overwintered lemons and jalapino chillis last year in my (East-facing)
front room window, and placed a table in front of it. On warm days I put
them all outside.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
over-wintering floaters and little bugs J. LaQuiere Ponds 12 14-02-2004 07:17 AM
Wintering over shallow ponds NJ Ponds 3 31-08-2003 11:02 PM
wintering over potatoes Rob Dougan Gardening 4 18-08-2003 06:43 PM
Wintering over [was Herbs? ] Texensis Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM