Old 12-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Rod Craddock

"NikV" wrote in message
"Rod" wrote
No, they're far too small - Meadow Browns are something we have at
home and they're 3 or 4 times larger than this baby.

not arguing ident but .. is this abdominal length ??
Picture here quotes wingspan of 40-60mm which would make abdominal
length (2nd vinctus to end) of about
10-15mm, abdominal length of 40mm would imply a wingspan of 120mm
nik

Er..............yes perhaps I overstated the size difference a
little;~(( But yes, Small Heath looks a much better bet.

That Caterpillar isn't in any of our books. I only ever see them up in
those hills, usually a week or 2 earlier than this. Usuallly look
fully fed and behaviour suggesting looking for somewhere to pupate.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.