Old 14-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Fitzpatrick" contains these
words:

Good afternoon, my 5 yr old grape has again produced very little this year,
3 very small bunches. Before I do anything this year regarding this
vine,after previously letting it grow- getting no crop. Pruning and getting
no crop, I have nothing to lose trying something else. So any advice please
would be appreciated.
The vine is in my greenhouse rising to about 6ft then going 90 degrees along
the roof, with plenty of growth along it's length. Go on someone tell me
what is the best way to get a crop next year.

When the leaves have fallen, cut all the laterals back to two buds (if
it's a fairly mature vine. If it's only a few years old, leave it at one
bud.)

_ Looking Upwards_
n// n//
// //
_______//n______________//n______________
____________ _________________ ________
\\u \\u
u\\ u\\
¯ ¯
In the spring, allow both buds to produce new laterals, and *AFTER THE
FLOWERS HAVE SET FRUIT*, remove each weaker lateral, and prune the other
one back to around three leaves past the young bunch.

Leave no more than two bunches on a lateral, and it is better to leave
only the one.

Do *NOT* prune too early, as the cut will not heal, and the vine will
lose a lot of sap, and may even bleed to death.

After the fruit has set, you should be able to trim it mercilessly -
some leaves are necessary, of course, but new laterals may be removed
wholesale.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/