Old 14-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Mexican Oregano

We talked about Mexican oregano back in the spring, and after
much searching, I found a mail order nursery that carried it, and
ordered.

Well, after all that work, I found trays and trays of it for sale
at Lowe's today, and their's was larger and cheaper than what I
bought. The leaves are smaller, but I don't know if that's
because they're in such small pots or if I have a slightly
different variety. They do smell slightly different, but that
could also be the difference in handing and growing conditions.
The Lowe's Mexican Oregano has a softer, less sharp taste to it.

Anyway, I've tried mine in a few dishes, and it does add an
interesting flavor. Hopefully they'll come back even bigger next
year so I can experiment more. I didn't want to pick them down to
the nub before they were well established. I bought one of the
Lowe's plants, too, so I can compare the two.

And, well, I didn't want to stand in the store tasting their
plants. They already think I'm a bit odd for being excited about
finding monarch butterfly caterpillars on the milkweed they were
selling. Heh, I asked the cashier if she was going to charge me
extra for the caterpillars, and she squealed and jumped back from
the cash register when I pointed them out to her.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"