Old 14-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Mexican Oregano

We talked about Mexican oregano back in the spring, and after
much searching, I found a mail order nursery that carried it, and
ordered.

Well, after all that work, I found trays and trays of it for sale
at Lowe's today, and their's was larger and cheaper than what I
bought. The leaves are smaller, but I don't know if that's
because they're in such small pots or if I have a slightly
different variety. They do smell slightly different, but that
could also be the difference in handing and growing conditions.
The Lowe's Mexican Oregano has a softer, less sharp taste to it.

Anyway, I've tried mine in a few dishes, and it does add an
interesting flavor. Hopefully they'll come back even bigger next
year so I can experiment more. I didn't want to pick them down to
the nub before they were well established. I bought one of the
Lowe's plants, too, so I can compare the two.

And, well, I didn't want to stand in the store tasting their
plants. They already think I'm a bit odd for being excited about
finding monarch butterfly caterpillars on the milkweed they were
selling. Heh, I asked the cashier if she was going to charge me
extra for the caterpillars, and she squealed and jumped back from
the cash register when I pointed them out to her.

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 14-09-2005, 03:07 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

[...]

evil grin That's hilarious... ;-)
Hopefully they will come back to your yard every year to lay more eggs!

Thanks for the heads up about the Mexican Oregano at Lowe's! Mine has
been blooming all summer and the butterflies seem to be attracted to it.
It does not get enough water where it is so it's not growing very fast
so I'd like to get more plants and put them in other areas in the yard.
They do eventually get pretty big and they are lovely with all those
little purple trumpet shaped blooms!

I'd say the flavor compares more to Marjoram than Oregano. I do use it
and I like it.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 14-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:07:09 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Mexican Oregano

And, well, I didn't want to stand in the store tasting their
plants. They already think I'm a bit odd for being excited about
finding monarch butterfly caterpillars on the milkweed they were
selling. Heh, I asked the cashier if she was going to charge me
extra for the caterpillars, and she squealed and jumped back from
the cash register when I pointed them out to her.

Penelope

evil grin That's hilarious... ;-)
Hopefully they will come back to your yard every year to lay more eggs!

Oh, I hope so, too!

Thanks for the heads up about the Mexican Oregano at Lowe's! Mine has
been blooming all summer and the butterflies seem to be attracted to it.
It does not get enough water where it is so it's not growing very fast
so I'd like to get more plants and put them in other areas in the yard.
They do eventually get pretty big and they are lovely with all those
little purple trumpet shaped blooms!

Mine hasn't bloomed yet, but I noticed yesterday that it has buds.

I'd say the flavor compares more to Marjoram than Oregano. I do use it
and I like it.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, what I grew was _Lippia
graveolens_. There is, apparently, a Texas native flower that is also
called Mexican oregano, and it's _Labiatae Poliomintha longiflora_.

Penelope
Old 14-09-2005, 02:20 PM
The Cook

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:48:21 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

[...]

Darn. Checked this morning and the Lowe's here within 25 miles of
the headquarters do not have it. Will have to check early next year.
Has anyone found a source for seeds?
--
Susan N.

Old 14-09-2005, 02:52 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:07:09 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Mexican Oregano

[...]

Oops! Ok, I have the second one. :-)
TOTALLY different plant!

It's very nice tho' for both landscaping and cooking.

I bought mine originally from "It's About Thyme" nursery in Austin.

Thanks!
--
Om.

Old 14-09-2005, 02:53 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

[...]

I'll watch mine for you and see if it produces any... It did throw a LOT
of blooms!

Try "it's about Thyme" nursery in Austin. If they don't have the exact
plant, they are very good about ordering and sourcing.
--
Om.

Old 14-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Dominic-Luc Webb

Perhaps, so as to eliminate any confusion, you could specify
the correct latin name for this beast?

Thanks in advance,

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 15-09-2005, 03:02 AM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:00:33 +0200, Dominic-Luc Webb
wrote:

Perhaps, so as to eliminate any confusion, you could specify
the correct latin name for this beast?

I did, in a post to Om, but here it is again.

_Lippia graveolens_

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 15-09-2005, 09:10 AM
Dominic-Luc Webb

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Perhaps, so as to eliminate any confusion, you could specify
the correct latin name for this beast?

I did, in a post to Om, but here it is again.

_Lippia graveolens_

Thanks bunches... I did not get the later postings with this
info before I posted that request. I am now learning about this
plant, finding some links. Any recommendations where to purchase
bulk seeds? I am in Sweden, and do not find this locally.

Actually, along same lines, I am trying to locate seeds for
Eryngium foetidum (cilantro extranjero), which is not same
as koriander, but has a koriander-like flavor. Seeds from
local seed collections are few, expensive and have very poor
growability. I have not been able to establish this plant thus
far.

Dominic-Luc Webb

Old 15-09-2005, 11:57 AM
The Cook

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:53:46 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I believe that is one of the places I looked. $8+ for the plant plus
outrageous shipping to the east coast. I'm not THAT interested.

--
Susan N.

Old 15-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:57:23 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
The Cook wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Mexican Oregano
Darn. Checked this morning and the Lowe's here within 25 miles of
the headquarters do not have it. Will have to check early next year.
Has anyone found a source for seeds?

I'll watch mine for you and see if it produces any... It did throw a LOT
of blooms!

Try "it's about Thyme" nursery in Austin. If they don't have the exact
plant, they are very good about ordering and sourcing.

I believe that is one of the places I looked. $8+ for the plant plus
outrageous shipping to the east coast. I'm not THAT interested.

Mine has some bloom buds on it. If it produces any seed, I'll be glad
to share. When I was looking for it this spring, I couldn't find any
seed, however, if it's popular enough to be found at Lowe's, we might
start seeing seed for sale.

Penelope
Old 15-09-2005, 03:20 PM
The Cook

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:00:59 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:57:23 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
The Cook wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Mexican Oregano
Darn. Checked this morning and the Lowe's here within 25 miles of
the headquarters do not have it. Will have to check early next year.
Has anyone found a source for seeds?

I'll watch mine for you and see if it produces any... It did throw a LOT
of blooms!

Try "it's about Thyme" nursery in Austin. If they don't have the exact
plant, they are very good about ordering and sourcing.

I believe that is one of the places I looked. $8+ for the plant plus
outrageous shipping to the east coast. I'm not THAT interested.

Mine has some bloom buds on it. If it produces any seed, I'll be glad
to share. When I was looking for it this spring, I couldn't find any
seed, however, if it's popular enough to be found at Lowe's, we might
start seeing seed for sale.

Penelope

Let's all keep our eyes open and post a message if we find a source of
seed.
--
Susan N.

Old 15-09-2005, 04:18 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:53:46 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Did not know where you lived, sorry! ;-)

If you want good on line plant sources with reasonable shipping, do
seriously consider ebay!!!

Got my strawberries and asparagus there, and it put me in touch with
nurseries I'd not known about so I was able to make private purchases
later and get catalogues.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 15-09-2005, 04:48 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 06:57:23 -0400, The Cook
wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
The Cook wrote:

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Mexican Oregano
[...]

Hmmmmm... Not seeds, but this price looks reasonable.
Wonder what the shipping is:

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/lipgraveolens.htm

My Gods! I can't believe this place sells Aconite seeds!
Deadly poison:

http://www.inharmonyherbs.com/medseed.htm

No Mexican Oregano, I just shared it because it looked interesting.

Still searching...

Yeesh! I give up!
Looks like this one is done most commonly using cuttings since it's a
woody perennial.

Anyone else have any luck?
--
Om.