Old 14-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:07:09 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Mexican Oregano

And, well, I didn't want to stand in the store tasting their
plants. They already think I'm a bit odd for being excited about
finding monarch butterfly caterpillars on the milkweed they were
selling. Heh, I asked the cashier if she was going to charge me
extra for the caterpillars, and she squealed and jumped back from
the cash register when I pointed them out to her.

Penelope

evil grin That's hilarious... ;-)
Hopefully they will come back to your yard every year to lay more eggs!

Oh, I hope so, too!

Thanks for the heads up about the Mexican Oregano at Lowe's! Mine has
been blooming all summer and the butterflies seem to be attracted to it.
It does not get enough water where it is so it's not growing very fast
so I'd like to get more plants and put them in other areas in the yard.
They do eventually get pretty big and they are lovely with all those
little purple trumpet shaped blooms!

Mine hasn't bloomed yet, but I noticed yesterday that it has buds.

I'd say the flavor compares more to Marjoram than Oregano. I do use it
and I like it.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, what I grew was _Lippia
graveolens_. There is, apparently, a Texas native flower that is also
called Mexican oregano, and it's _Labiatae Poliomintha longiflora_.

Penelope