Old 14-09-2005, 02:53 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:48:21 -0400, Penelope Periwinkle
wrote:

We talked about Mexican oregano back in the spring, and after
much searching, I found a mail order nursery that carried it, and
ordered.

Well, after all that work, I found trays and trays of it for sale
at Lowe's today, and their's was larger and cheaper than what I
bought. The leaves are smaller, but I don't know if that's
because they're in such small pots or if I have a slightly
different variety. They do smell slightly different, but that
could also be the difference in handing and growing conditions.
The Lowe's Mexican Oregano has a softer, less sharp taste to it.

Anyway, I've tried mine in a few dishes, and it does add an
interesting flavor. Hopefully they'll come back even bigger next
year so I can experiment more. I didn't want to pick them down to
the nub before they were well established. I bought one of the
Lowe's plants, too, so I can compare the two.

And, well, I didn't want to stand in the store tasting their
plants. They already think I'm a bit odd for being excited about
finding monarch butterfly caterpillars on the milkweed they were
selling. Heh, I asked the cashier if she was going to charge me
extra for the caterpillars, and she squealed and jumped back from
the cash register when I pointed them out to her.

Penelope

Darn. Checked this morning and the Lowe's here within 25 miles of
the headquarters do not have it. Will have to check early next year.
Has anyone found a source for seeds?

I'll watch mine for you and see if it produces any... It did throw a LOT
of blooms!

Try "it's about Thyme" nursery in Austin. If they don't have the exact
plant, they are very good about ordering and sourcing.
--
Om.