View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 15-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Gary Huff

Default [IBC] Winter Care

Ok, now I've gotten a large cold frame with a solar vent opener and now I have to figure where to put
it and how to keep my little trees well during the cold weather, which will soon be coming. Here in
Virginia it gets down in the teens and single digits some. I know I've read in which direction to put
the cold frame, but can't locate it now. I have maybe two options. One is on the ground beneath my
deck, which is facing northwest, up against the house with mulch inside around the bonsai, up to the
leaves and two is on my deck up against the house. I'm thinking if I put it on the deck then maybe I
can rig some lights underneath which when it got cold I can turn them on and maybe use different
watts to generate a little heat to protect my trees. Has anyone done this sort of silly thing and will it
work? Any other insight into how to do a cold frame would be greatly appreciated, since this is my
first winter with my bonsai outside. The bonsai I have are all shohin and they are junipers, black pine,
oak, and maples. Thanks for your help!

Gary Huff
Virginia
Zone 7a

************************************************** ******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
************************************************** ******************************
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++