Old 15-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Gary Huff

Default [IBC] Winter Care

Ok, now I've gotten a large cold frame with a solar vent opener and now I have to figure where to put
it and how to keep my little trees well during the cold weather, which will soon be coming. Here in
Virginia it gets down in the teens and single digits some. I know I've read in which direction to put
the cold frame, but can't locate it now. I have maybe two options. One is on the ground beneath my
deck, which is facing northwest, up against the house with mulch inside around the bonsai, up to the
leaves and two is on my deck up against the house. I'm thinking if I put it on the deck then maybe I
can rig some lights underneath which when it got cold I can turn them on and maybe use different
watts to generate a little heat to protect my trees. Has anyone done this sort of silly thing and will it
work? Any other insight into how to do a cold frame would be greatly appreciated, since this is my
first winter with my bonsai outside. The bonsai I have are all shohin and they are junipers, black pine,
oak, and maples. Thanks for your help!

Gary Huff
Virginia
Zone 7a

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Craig Cowing

On Sep 15, 2005, at 10:31 AM, Gary Huff wrote:

snip

. I'm thinking if I put it on the deck then maybe I
can rig some lights underneath which when it got cold I can turn them
on and maybe use different
watts to generate a little heat to protect my trees. Has anyone done
this sort of silly thing and will it
work? Any other insight into how to do a cold frame would be greatly
appreciated, since this is my
first winter with my bonsai outside. The bonsai I have are all shohin
and they are junipers, black pine,
oak, and maples. Thanks for your help!

Gary Huff
Virginia
Zone 7a

I wouldn't think you would need lights for heat in Virginia for the
trees you've described, but someone down there would know better.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 15-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Michael Persiano

Gary:

Is sounds like you are preparing for the Artic winter. );-)

What species are you wintering? Dips into the teens are generally not a problem for most hardy trees. If you have an tropic species, then need to go else where.

Heat can be a GREAT problem once the trees have frozen, and they are likely to freeze.

Let us know what you are wintering, and then we can advise.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] winter care in the Knowledge Base Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 29-11-2004 04:06 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea winter care Tlsrider Bonsai 4 29-09-2004 05:16 PM
[IBC] winter care Colin Horn Bonsai 13 26-11-2003 01:12 AM
[IBC] *** Thanksgiving (was: [IBC] winter care) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 25-11-2003 03:18 AM
[IBC] Winter (was: [IBC] winter care) Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 24-11-2003 03:22 PM