Old 06-01-2003, 12:53 PM
cormaic

Default Helleborus

'Twas Fri, 3 Jan 2003 10:47:23 +0000, when Janet Tweedy
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

I do have a question..........
Only having grown them in the garden I would like to pot up the special
ones to display nearer the house. What size pot does anyone suggest I
use? I have crammed them into 9 or 10 inch ones but think they'll need a
bigger pot to grow better.
Will they thrive in a pot or would it be better to plant them in the
garden eventually? The nurseries web site is really good for showing off
the plants etc but not so hot on growing tips.

I have a few hellebores and the one thing I've learned is that
they do not like being disturbed. They seem to sulk for a year or two
after being moved or re-potted, so think carefully before deciding
where to bung them.
The biggest hellebore is in a 450mm pot and that goes beside
the front door at this time of year. Others are in the ground at the
shady end of the garden where they thrive, but then, they look tatty
and uninteresting once their season is over at the end of spring. At
least the potted specimens can be relocated to an unobtrusive corner.
I s'pose it depends on how much room you have. I'm really
limited in this garden, so pots suit me best. If I had more room, then
I think I'd be more inclined to give them a permanent home in a shady
woodlandy border.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk