Old 17-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Davy

I went on a RHS training session which covered scarifying and the following
is based on that and subsequent experience.
I have a 10m x 35m lawn. I hired a 16" metal bladed petrol driven scarifier.
Was a trifle large to manoeuvre around, down passageways and corners of
garden: 14" would have been better. Had plenty of power and did job
effortlessly, apart from effort of manoeuvring it. Took about 3 hours.

Preparation:
Order couple of tons of topsoil.
Service mower to get it sharp and nicely adjusted.
Empty compost bin/lawn cuttings area in readiness - you are going to get a
lot of cuttings.
Mow lawn as short as possible to allow the scarifyier to get in.

Scarifying:
Go for several cross cuts rather than having blades too low.

Scarify in one direction
Rake up; also raising grass runners.
Mow again with blades set to lowest practical. Tempting to use a vacuuming
rotary mower but these smash the growing stalk.

Repeat scarify/rake/mow as above but working at right angles.

You've done it right if the lawn then looks almost bare. But it will grow
back rapidly at this time of year.

An almost bare lawn gives a wonderful opportunity to fill in hollows. Apply
topsoil and drag a plank across lawn so it is pushed into the hollows.

You might want to integrate your autumn lawnfeed programme into this.

cheers

Davy

Hiring a petrol scarifyer this Saturday. Never used one before-any tips ?
Regards,
Stu Devereux.
Fax no. 08701339568
(Outside UK fax 448701339568)