Old 15-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Stewart Devereux

Default Using a scarifyer ?

Hiring a petrol scarifyer this Saturday. Never used one before-any tips ?
Regards,
Stu Devereux.
Fax no. 08701339568
(Outside UK fax 448701339568)
E-mail.

Old 15-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Tumbleweed

"Stewart Devereux" wrote in message

Hiring a petrol scarifyer this Saturday. Never used one before-any tips ?
Regards,
Stu Devereux.

be prepared for how bad your lawn will look for the next few months!

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 15-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Peter C

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Stewart Devereux" wrote in message

Hiring a petrol scarifyer this Saturday. Never used one before-any tips ?
Regards,
Stu Devereux.

be prepared for how bad your lawn will look for the next few months!

--
Tumbleweed

Agreed, Your lawn will look terrible. I doubt whether you will drag all the
moss out. , you will drag a lot of dead stuff out.
To improve the look of your lawn after the operation cut the grass with a
lawn mower., this will remove all the long bits of grass and it will look
much better.
Peter.

Old 16-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Dwayne

If you have water sprinklers that raise up when the water is turned on to
water the lawn, don't run the machine over them. My next door neighbor
rented a machine one year to do his lawn and agreed to do mine if I would
pay half of the rental fee. I agreed. When he was finished, I had to
replace two of my sprinklers.

Dwayne

Old 17-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Davy

I went on a RHS training session which covered scarifying and the following
is based on that and subsequent experience.
I have a 10m x 35m lawn. I hired a 16" metal bladed petrol driven scarifier.
Was a trifle large to manoeuvre around, down passageways and corners of
garden: 14" would have been better. Had plenty of power and did job
effortlessly, apart from effort of manoeuvring it. Took about 3 hours.

Preparation:
Order couple of tons of topsoil.
Service mower to get it sharp and nicely adjusted.
Empty compost bin/lawn cuttings area in readiness - you are going to get a
lot of cuttings.
Mow lawn as short as possible to allow the scarifyier to get in.

Scarifying:
Go for several cross cuts rather than having blades too low.

Scarify in one direction
Rake up; also raising grass runners.
Mow again with blades set to lowest practical. Tempting to use a vacuuming
rotary mower but these smash the growing stalk.

Repeat scarify/rake/mow as above but working at right angles.

You've done it right if the lawn then looks almost bare. But it will grow
back rapidly at this time of year.

An almost bare lawn gives a wonderful opportunity to fill in hollows. Apply
topsoil and drag a plank across lawn so it is pushed into the hollows.

You might want to integrate your autumn lawnfeed programme into this.

cheers

Davy

Hiring a petrol scarifyer this Saturday. Never used one before-any tips ?
Regards,
Stu Devereux.
Fax no. 08701339568
(Outside UK fax 448701339568)
E-mail.

"Stewart Devereux" wrote in message

Hiring a petrol scarifyer this Saturday. Never used one before-any tips ?
Regards,
Stu Devereux.
Fax no. 08701339568
(Outside UK fax 448701339568)
E-mail.

[IBC] Using wire to thicken base of trunk - HELP! John NJ Bonsai 4 31-03-2003 12:32 AM
Using superglue to fastening plants Mike Noren Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 29-03-2003 02:32 PM
[IBC] Using Fish Tank water... Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 6 12-02-2003 07:25 PM
Using Fish Tank water... MainAt Bonsai 0 09-02-2003 06:16 PM
Lawn edging using a petrol trimmer Rocket Gardening 3 26-01-2003 06:26 PM